A Pro Pentax?

benjikan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am quite taken a back by many of the questions regarding the pro capacity of the K10D. There have been the doubting Thomas's that ask.."Is there a Pro Pentax?" or why doesn't Pentax make a pro camera etc etc etc. The answer is this. The K10D is the Nikon D200 of Pentax. It compares favorably with all of the top end dslr's on the market. So why these insecurities? I think it has more to do with the perceived value of the camera. If it sold for 1500€, the public perception would be the contrary. Perhaps Pentax should re-consider their pricing just to satisfy those who perceive value solely by the price tag.

and the purpose of defending pentax in a completely seperate thread?

but .. I do agree... Pentax has always presented good value for performance. From what I've heard the K10D does hold.

I'm sure I've seen posts of the kind you're referring to on other forums... I don't think I've seen any here though.

To be honest the K10d is surely an excellent dSLR but it is not what would generally be considered a "pro" camera. Nor is a D80, a 30D (nor I would say a D200 at the risk of having my head bitten off)... or any but a small handful of cameras. It was not designed primarily for professional use... which is not to say that it can't be used professionally, as your work demonstrates. It is a very good spec, well built and the weather sealing is something you would normally expect only from higher-end models... but that doesn't mean it's perfect, nor does it mean that Pentax shouldn't work to produce something even better... the modern equivalent of an LX or MZ-S perhaps. Pentax can improve in certain areas... for example if the SDM ultrasonic focus system works well, higher-end bodies could have higher frame rates and Pentax could compete in areas where traditionally you would never have seen a Pentax.

I have no insecurities about using Pentax... and I don't worry about the value of their camera bodies, since I believe they offer extremely good value. Pentax don't need to reconsider their pricing... but as usual they need to improve their advertising. And they need to keep working on producing even better products - just like every other company does... there's no completely perfect camera.

I love Pentax. I own an ME Super, a Super Program, and a 645. However, they haven't made a "pro" camera since the 645 NII or the LX. The MZ-S came up short, and I'm not holding my breath for the 645D.

What makes a camera a pro camera really? Is the mere existence of the D2X enough to push the D200 down to the prosumer range? Same goes for Canon, some will sware green and blue that the 5D isn't a Pro camera, yet I have seen wedding photographers and the like use lesser cameras like the 30D professionally. So what has the D2X and the 1D got that the D200, 30D 5D, or K10D doesn't? Image quality is reasonably the same unless you go nitpicking, they are all roughly 10mpx, Oh it must the ability to do voice recording, that's gotta be it :D.

No doubt any plans for a Pentax pro body must be low on the list of priorities. I tend to agree with Garbz... not everyone needs or wants a "pro" camera, not even professionals necessarily... I have played around with several and generally I find that I prefer cameras aimed at "advanced amateurs" rather than professionals. It's not even a case of not being good enough or demanding enough to want a better camera; I honestly think that sometimes an excess of technology can interfere with the useability of the product.

I didn't mean to suggest that making a true 'pro' model should be a priority for Pentax... I'd like to see one some time but not for a while... what I was trying to say was that just because the K10D is very good, doesn't mean Pentax or Pentax users shouldn't hope for something even better (and that can mean better within the 'entry-level' or 'amateur' markets rather than pro).

So what has the D2X and the 1D got that the D200, 30D 5D, or K10D doesn't?

There's a big difference between 1d(s) markII(III) versus 30D and 5D. Build, meter, seals, battery, frames/sec, shutter life, etc.. are quite different. Each body has a different purpose but it doesn't mean that the 30D and 5D are not capable of professional duty. 5D is becoming a popular choice over the 1d for journalist and wildlife photographers.

I personally could careless... purchase the body that serves your purpose.

That's not what I said. I said a 1D. The 1Ds is quite a different and more expensive beast even being borderline out of what I would call pro, and into what I would say is either application specific, special interest, or plain obsessive (depending on the owner). Quite like some medium format beasts out there.

But back to something I know more about the Nikon D2X vs D200. Build quality roughly the same, both have good seals, with the battery grip the D200 lasts longer then the D2X, framerate is higher on the D2X thanks to it's ability to crop sensor information.

I am just questioning how people can say certain cameras are not "pro" cameras purely because a better version exists. As you said the 5D is popular for journalists and wildlife photographers. These wouldn't be pro's by any chance would they? ;)

Benji, you know as well as I do that cameras aren't professional. People are professional. A professional can use any equipment to make good images. Professionals normally choose what is reliable because failing to get the photographs doesn't bring home the bacon. Brand is immaterial. Pentax, like most other brands, is reliable. The company wouldn't be in business if that were not the case. It always has been this way.

That's not what I said. I said a 1D.

And thats what i'm saying.... Ok.. I'll be more specific:

"There's a big difference between the 1 SERIES DSLR (1D, 1D MarkII, 1D MarkIIn, 1D Mark III, 1Ds, 1Ds MarkII) versus 30D and 5D. Build, meter, seals, battery, frames/sec, shutter life, etc.. are quite different."

Is that better? Still the same point... and doesn't matter... Use a Holga if it serves your purpose.

in the end.. it is threads like this that makes it seem like Benji is on the Pentax payroll... but at least not completely.

I am using a Canon 400D and the features I miss on it are accurate exposure metering, spot metering, and white balancing. I always have to solve these problems in photoshop after taking the shots. If a pro camera could give me those, then I'd argue it might be worth the extra money. One thing I don't like about pro cameras is they are full frame so you have to buy more expensive and heavier lenses to get the same reach at the telephoto end.

Well accurate exposure IMO shouldn't be entirely down to the camera. Spot metering I have on my dSLR and had on several film SLRs, none of which would usually be considered "pro" spec. That's more an issue of Canon deciding not to include it, rather than a Pro-camera-vs-non-pro-camera thing. As for full frame... not all pro cameras are full frame. Only Canon's.

If you are having problems with your Rebel... firstly you can get around some of those problems by simply doing more of the work (metering, white balance) yourself... and if you want more features you might find that something like the 30D fits your needs well; you don't necessarily need the absolute top of the line.

One thing I don't like about pro cameras is they are full frame so you have to buy more expensive and heavier lenses to get the same reach at the telephoto end.

Is that right? Isn't your typical DSLR at 200mm the same as a full-frame 200mm shot but cropped to the size of the smaller sensor? In other words, the reach is the same, just the crop is different, no?

It seems to me that the industry is just suckering everyone into buying "digital" lenses, so that in a couple years they can make full-frame standard and everybody has to go out and buy all new lenses.

Dave

I am quite taken a back by many of the questions regarding the pro capacity of the K10D. There have been the doubting Thomas's that ask.."Is there a Pro Pentax?" or why doesn't Pentax make a pro camera etc etc etc. The answer is this. The K10D is the Nikon D200 of Pentax. It compares favorably with all of the top end dslr's on the market. So why these insecurities? I think it has more to do with the perceived value of the camera. If it sold for 1500€, the public perception would be the contrary. Perhaps Pentax should re-consider their pricing just to satisfy those who perceive value solely by the price tag.

Who are you trying to convince? Us or yourself?
I have no issues with the calibre or capability of the Pentax nor do i doubt the quality of your work - some of it is quite stunning. :hail:
However it seems that just about every time i see a post you're saying how good the pentax is or that it's as good as a Canon X or a Nikon Y.

I'm quite a believer that it's the photographer that takes the image, not the camera so the equipment is not as important as a good competent artistic user.

I'm fairly sure that i've read ealsewhere in this forum that you're sponsored by Pentax. I realise that everyone has their preference in a particular brand of gear - that's totally normal and i don't have a problem with it. But I don't read many posts from Canon users saying that my camera is this good, or Nikon users saying my camera is a definitely a pro because of this.
I may be reading this wrong but I can't help thinking your sponsorship from Pentax is somehow related to this type of post.

I apologise if I've taken your posts out of context or read them the wrong way but why do you constantly talk about how good your camera is?
We've seen your work and don't doubt the quality or your images or the camera - why the repeated praise after receiving a sponsorship?

I'm not having a go - i just can't figure out why the repeated praise when very few others, if anyone at all, does it, but i suppose most others don't receive free/cheap gear, or sponsorships from Canon or Nikon.

It could be i just missed some of your other posts.

and the purpose of defending pentax in a completely seperate thread?

but .. I do agree... Pentax has always presented good value for performance. From what I've heard the K10D does hold.
You need to remember any statement by Benjikan about Pentax is bought and paid for by Pentax. This is not meant as a slam to Pentax, Beji or anyone else but I think he should put a disclaimer in his sig when he puts up posts like this. I know alot of us on here know this fact but others don't.

Most reactions

Back