A Question about Exposure Compensation

revilo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How does exposure compensation work? Does it change the aperture, shutter speed and/or ISO in order to correct the exposure, or does it work in some other way?

Looks like it's shutter speed and/or aperture, and could depend on the camera or the mode you're using (aperture priority will adjust aperture).

Understanding... Exposure Compensation - Digital Photography Tutorial - Photoxels
Exposure Compensation: Exposure: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Exposure compensation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exposure can be adjusted by changing either the lens f-number or the exposure time; which one is changed usually depends on the camera's exposure mode. If the mode is aperture priority, exposure compensation changes the exposure time; if the mode is shutter priority, the f-number is changed. If a flash is being used, some cameras will adjust it as well.

it depends which mode you are shooting in. When ever the camera uses and auto or semi auto mode to take as shot it adjust the settings (that it controls) to get as close as possible to a "correct" exposure. This normally is located in the middle of the exposure slider on your camera, however there are times when you might want to under or over expose a shot (for what ever reason). Exposure compensation tells the camera to do just that - to under or overexpose the shot by how ever much you dail in in the compensation.

If you are in shutter priority then the camera will adjust the aperture
If you are in aperture priority then the camera will adjust the shutter speed.
If you are in full auto both aperture and shutter priority will be adjusted

I am unsure if auto ISO is affected by this or not - I would assume that it is, but I have no experience using auto ISO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back