A question about negatives?

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I recently aquired a Canon Eos Elan 7e film camera. I have never used film before and I can't wait to get started. I want to scan the pictures into the computer after they have been developed but I'm wondering if I need something special for the negatives. Do I need a special scanner or will the standard flatbed suffice? Thanks in advance for the help.

Dylan

You will need a transparency adapter or dedicated film scanner. Whether you can get an adapter for your scanner will depend on the make/model.

The adapter sits on top of the scanner glass with the negatives loaded into it. It has a built in light that shines through the negs from above and the normal scanner light is turned off.

Since you are just starting with film, you should probably have your negatives
scanned at the time of processing. This way you will have a CD for permanent
storage of the digital images.

Kodak's PictureCD is a good quality scan, I have been using them for years
and although it's only 1024x1536, it's possible to make good 8x10s. Many
camera stores and chain-stores will also make a CD but I have found the the
images on the PictureCD are usually better.

This is an awfully negative question, isn't it? :D

Epson and probably many others make printers that scan negatives, paper, whatever up to a certain size. Might wanna peek at one of those!

I've never been impressed with cheap scanners that supposedly scan negatives. I'd say get them done when you get the film developed.

Or, even better, set up a darkroom! You'll be hooked, I promise. ;)

The picture cd sounds like it might be a good idea as long as the output is a standard jpeg. I want to upload my pictures to my pbase site (shameless plug) and I'm pretty sure I can only use jpeg or tiff. I may end up buying a new scanner if it's worth it.

I'll post back to let everyone know how this works out. I just shot 4 rolls at Longwood gardens and I can't wait to get them developed.

Most reactions

Back