A Question About "Shooting like a man"

Oh now Gary we don't believe that!

I think she said it because you are a guy and she knows you are a guy. It's a nonsencical statement in that way and I reckon you're reading too much into it.

I looked up sites of a few who came to mind; if you go back as early as Stieglitz he did portraits & nudes of Georgia O'Keefe (as many artists have done with their wives as subjects); you could look him up on The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Search the Collections .
Here are a couple others.
Horst P Horst | Classic Photography
H E R B R I T T S

So is this: Horst P Horst | Lisa on Silk Hand on Torso I really all that thematically different than this: DSC_1338 B&W | Flickr - Photo Sharing! ?

Not that I think I'm Herb Ritts ... but come on. Sometimes a nude is just a nude. Right?

Really? You think those two pictures are anything but superficially similar?

My current favorite model for overthinking pictures is built on three concepts:

subject the thing in front of the camera
rendering the way you handle the subject

rendering and subject blur together a bit. think of them as axes rather than discrete objects if you like. Then:

idea which is what the picture conveys. The feeling, the emotion, the political statement, whatever

subject+rendering gives you a picture which may have not much idea, or might contain a lot.

The two pictures you show are completely different, except for subject. There's a naked girl in each one. One of them is is light, soft, indolent, relaxed, lazy sensuality. The other is dark, angular, hard, intense, aggressive sensuality. The points of view are also completely different, with its own set of effects - the dark one has a slight tinge of BDSM in it, the light one is much more lightly erotic, again, it's about intensity.

The rendering of the two is almost completely opposite. Let's include the posing in rendering for now, although I allow as you could charge it to subject just as well. I'm trying to make a point here.

The result is that the idea conveyed is quite different. The feeling we get is quite different.

A nude, by the way, is almost never just a nude. They're always highly charged in this modern western european culture of ours.

I meant I don't think we'd believe you would shoot like a perv Gary, on film or otherwise.

(And I meant ones that were marked as Favorites on the Flickr page that are other users' photos...)

Last edited:
I think what she was trying to say is you shoot like a GWC. I don't think that's your intention but your work is very GWCish. Time to start getting creative with your posing, wardrobe, and lighting.

amolitor said:
The other is dark, angular, hard, intense, aggressive sensuality.

What have you been drinking? That's "hard, intense aggressive sensuality"? Are you kidding? It's like a 3,000 year old sculpture...

Maybe it's the tats, throwing off your judgement, or maybe the fact that she has piercings...

amolitor said:
The other is dark, angular, hard, intense, aggressive sensuality.

What have you been drinking? That's "hard, intense aggressive sensuality"? Are you kidding? It's like a 3,000 year old sculpture...

Maybe it's the tats, throwing off your judgement, or maybe the fact that she has piercings...

Could be the fangs. I dunno, I saw this and thought "boobies". Pretty much everything else went out the window. You know come to think of it that might be why I lost my job as an art critic.. lol

3000 year old sculptures actually tended to be pretty aggressively sexual so, sure, I'll buy it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back