A question about shooting Raw

Only send us the photos that were originally JPEGs, with minimal processing <my emphasis> (cropping, correcting levels, etc).
Ruf! Ro! - Sounds like some photographers are going to have to learn how do photography (get it right in the camera).

A Reuters spokesperson has confirmed this policy change with PetaPixel, and says that the decision was made to increase both ethics and speed.
That mention about ethics is a sad commentary.

Ruf! Ro! - the way the Jetson's dog Astro says Uh! Oh!

Only send us the photos that were originally JPEGs, with minimal processing <my emphasis> (cropping, correcting levels, etc).
Ruf! Ro! - Sounds like some photographers are going to have to learn how do photography (get it right in the camera).

A Reuters spokesperson has confirmed this policy change with PetaPixel, and says that the decision was made to increase both ethics and speed.
That mention about ethics is a sad commentary.

Ruf! Ro! - the way the Jetson's dog Astro says Uh! Oh!
I think the mention of ethics is the real reason for this.

Well I for one am shocked that there is even the concern that a member of the media may be unscrupulous for the sake newsworthiness.

Isn't it funny that a news agency (that are generally biased), are concerned about the images they publish being "true" or "ethical" or unaltered?

Reactions: KmH
I saw this in another thread and think I said there this seems like a non issue, a change in procedure at most. Petapixel wrote the headline calling it a ban, which to me doesn't seem accurate if the email sent out by an editor is legit (since there's no source but it was confirmed by PP) - they weren't told to NOT shoot Raw, just to also shoot JPEG to send in. If they can't provide what Reuters (or any client/employer) needs I guess they better learn how or stop shooting for Reuters.

I wonder if some of the problem is so many companies dropping photographers or changing to all freelance, and using people with cameras who may not have the necessary skills or expertise or work ethics. For cryin' out loud, even I know what's not acceptable in sports and photojournalism, photographers they contract with ought to know.

And this got me looking more closely at Petapixel; it apparently is a blog, not a news or media outlet. Can't find a street address to look up to see if it's a registered business but there's info. for advertisers. The listed 'editor' doesn't seem to have any background in journalism, the site doesn't seem to list any writers, etc. and seems to mostly rewrite or repost info. from elsewhere.

I think there's a perception that some sites are news outlets when they really may just be a blog or sharing site, which might contribute to there being some seemingly questionable ethical practices out there.

In legitimate news organizations the photos do and always have had to be true and unaltered - in my experience it's just the interpretations of the scenes that are off the wall................

Well I for one am shocked that there is even the concern that a member of the media may be unscrupulous for the sake newsworthiness.
not sure if satire.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back