a question about stuck / dead pixels.

John_05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i took some pictures last night, and noticed a few pixels that were white, and a couple that were red. i checked the rest of the pictures, and only one red one showed up in all of them. the white ones werent in the first few shots i took, but showed up in later shots, and werent in the same place for each shot.

im pretty sure the red one is a stuck pixel since it shows in all the pictures, but what about the white ones? they werent in all the photos, and they werent in the same spots every time. i checked some randon photos beginning with the first ones i took with my camera, all the way up to the most recent. photos i took a few days ago dont have any of these pixel problems, so this apparently just happened in the last day or 2.

what could be causing this, and is there a way to fix it myself? fixing them in post isnt a problem, but i can see where its going to get annoying if i have to fix every shot i take.

my camera is insured (Rebel XT), so should i take it back and get a new one, just deal with the 1 pixel thats constant, or try some sort of fix myself if its possible?

Try removing batteries for a while.
See if pixels heal themselves.
A single hot pixel I guess I could tolerate but randomly appearing pixels would imply some circuitry issue that could easily get worse. I would keep all the images (and in raw) so you can document their appearance and movement.

Try removing batteries for a while.
See if pixels heal themselves.
A single hot pixel I guess I could tolerate but randomly appearing pixels would imply some circuitry issue that could easily get worse. I would keep all the images (and in raw) so you can document their appearance and movement.

what i did was i opened the images i found to have moving pixels, and circled them all (the dead / stuck pixels), and made a transparent png so i can paste it over the next set of pictures i take and compare them.

i also did a little searching, and read that moving pixels can be caused by the camera getting warmer from being used constantly. i then looked at my pictures again, and noticed the first 60 or so didnt have the moving pixels, but the rest did. if the camera getting used constantly and getting warmer can be blame, then i probably caused them myself by shooting 2GB worth of bulb exposures trying to catch lightning strikes for about 2 hours.

i will try removing the battery overnight and see if it helps. thank you for the idea. i will let you know if it works. hopefully thats all i need to do, but if i have to return the camera i can either get an XT body and 300-350$ lens, or an XTi kit, so im not terribly worried about it.

All pixels eventually die. Try taking a single 2 hour exposure and you'll see what I mean. Other than purple fringing you'll probably have about 1 in 20 pixels go bad. This has to do with length they are on for and shutter speed

At the very worst my D200 sometimes after a bit of use will start showing a fixed dead pixel at 1/8th second at ISO 1250. Drop it back to ISO800 and it's good again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back