A question about UPS

KhronoS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.constantinchirila.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In a few days i would like to buy some gear from B&H. The gear will be sent through UPS, and being the first time i buy of the internet, i have a question: How will the package arrive? It will arrive at my local postal office? Or, at my doorstep?

P.S. Hope i posted in the right thread...

UPS has nothing to do w/ the US Postal Service as they are commercial vs governmental, so they will not deliver to the post office.

Anymore, most internet stores will give you a tracking number from UPS or whoever they ship your package with, and you can track the progress of your package.

The two major carriers are pretty reliable, but there are some others that are trying to make a name for themselves, and I have had some bad results from them. The last instance was leaving a $3800.00 laptop on my front porch for 14 hours in the rain and snow.

The carrier you ask about is not that carrier, and are reliable.

The two major carriers are pretty reliable, but there are some others that are trying to make a name for themselves, and I have had some bad results from them. The last instance was leaving a $3800.00 laptop on my front porch for 14 hours in the rain and snow.

I believe I had this carrier leave my $2200 laptop on my front porch while I was on vacation. . . Good thing a friendly neighbor grabbed it.

Sure are fast though.

Fedex is the best carrier around. But I won't get into that...

i prefer ups...

fedex is bad about updating trackking info in my experience and i am one to keep an eye on it... I got no update from the day my camera was dropped off to them to the day i received it

UPS has nothing to do w/ the US Postal Service as they are commercial vs governmental, so they will not deliver to the post office.

Anymore, most internet stores will give you a tracking number from UPS or whoever they ship your package with, and you can track the progress of your package.

Well kind of thought that it was somehow related to Postal Service, that`s why i asked, wasn`t sure :p

Yeah, there are some carriers that are fooling around. Ordered once a Video card, and wasn`t home when they arrived, although they had my phone number, the next day they sent me an email saying that because i wasnt home, i have to pick up myself the video card... from their city 200km away :lol:. But after following a complaint at the consumer protection, all sorted out very swiftly :lol:

just a question, i've bought things online from the UK and everytime i buy anything parcels arrive to the post office and I have to pick it up, if i buy something from B&H for instance, and post to Gibraltar would i recieve it the "american" way, by hand, or will it g to the post office...thing is i've never seen anyone receive a parcel in hand.

just a question, i've bought things online from the UK and everytime i buy anything parcels arrive to the post office and I have to pick it up, if i buy something from B&H for instance, and post to Gibraltar would i recieve it the "american" way, by hand, or will it g to the post office...thing is i've never seen anyone receive a parcel in hand.

I am so sorry, I forgot about the "global" aspect of the internet. My post deals w/ our service in the US.

In answer to your question, it would depend upon how you chose to have your package delivered (shipping), either by parcel post or through a commercial carrier like fed-ex or ups. If you choose a commercial carrier, I would contact the carrier, either through the internet or call a local / regional / national office, and inquire about how and where they deliver. Most internet sellers offer various alternatives for shipping, at least they do here in the US.

Once again, sorry for the mix up

you can make them have somebody sign the package, so it doesnt sit out on your doorstep all day..

but if you're not there, your gonna have to go to a pick up zone and who knows how far away they are

Oddly enough, UPS delivers to the Post Office. We deliver to them all the time in every little town and village and city. That's how they either

A) Get their supplies thru the mail (why not have themselves ship it? I don't know, I only deliver packages)

or

B) Sometimes the post office will contract us (UPS) to ship international or across the country shipments (everything but letters and small package operations)

Important things to remember. If it needs a signature (Electronics, computers, expensive stuff like cameras and such), make sure someone can sign for it. MOST of the time, drivers will ask a neighbor if the weather is bad or if its something expensive (we read where it's coming from and can usually tell if its expensive or not) to sign for it. If we feel that it's a bad neighborhood or if no one is around, we WILL attempt to deliver the package 2 more times. After the 3rd time, you'll have to come pick it up at the UPS center. It could be 1 mile to 25 miles away. You HAVE to have your drivers license, we will not let you sign for the package unless you have a drivers license. Same with medication. Track your package, if it says "Estimated delivery date is "so and so date", and if you KNOW you aren't going to be there and most likely if its electronics it needs a signature, put a note on the door saying the neighbor will sign for it. With electronics you want as little handling time as possible so neither you (the customer) or us (UPS) need to file a claim. Just take the few extra steps of care to ensure proper handling time.

i guess the best thing to do would be to look for UPS centres around your area before you buy anything, that wa if you need to go and pick it up at their place you dont think "aw man its 20,000 miles away!"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back