A Question...

redwood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In my first year as a photographer I've spent a lot of time absorbing information about how to create better images...

What are the three things that you personally find most difficult about photography?

My eyesight isn't great and I wear thick/strong glasses so manually focosing is difficult. Also, I am categorized as "color deficient". This means that "similar" colors look the same to me. So that makes it hard. Thirdly, I would say that my slow reaction time effects the settings I can use or adjust in a particular situation.

In my first year as a photographer I've spent a lot of time absorbing information about how to create better images...

What are the three things that you personally find most difficult about photography?

I've never found anything about photography difficult.

Whenever I start having difficulty, it doesn't take long to figure out that the difficulty is with me. Either I'm to obtuse, or I have been less than diligent in facilitating my understanding of how my gear or some other photographic process works.

How about you redwood?

TIMING.
Timing.
Attitude.
When I'm at a wedding, I really want to give bride and groom GREAT stuff, but more often then not I'm limited by timing. IF and WHEN they come on time to where-ever we are supposed to be shooting (usually the hall), I can bangout a lot of stuff and still have time to breath; IF, like the other day bride was one of 12kids with 10married siblings and groom was one of 16 with 13married siblings, there isn't much time for pictures, yet alone funky pictures, so I just do so called bread&butter and move on.

At time, nor Bride nor groom are interested in pictures. <-- Crappy attitude, difficult to work.

Well for me i would say, getting volunteered for something your not ready for or would like to do. :mrgreen: After having my camera for maybe a month my grandpa wanted to shoot at a Banquet. It wasnt like a big event but i still had not nearly enought expirence and knowledge to take it on. I managed to get by but it has kind of made me not what to that type of thing again lol.

I think for a lot of people, and sometimes myself is, the problem is motivation. To get better you really need to get out and shoot everything. Find things and make them interesting. Not just once a week when you plan on it but like everyday.

My two cents.
Gian

The thing I find most difficult is what to shoot. Its hard being creative when you have no car to drive to go shooting and lose inspiration. Often I find my camera sitting on my desk depressed because of lack of what to shoot.

Edit: Gian pretty much said what I just said only a couple minutes earlier.

Double Edit: For motivation I like to go on flickr and search different stuff, it motivates me to try new things and go out shooting. I like to look at other peoples work becuase it gives me ideas. Just a thought

Thanks everyone..

My three are:

1) Finding the time! Some people seem to be able to create great pictures just by finding things around their home and shooting them in great light, close up, different angle etc. I always find that the things I want to photograph involve going out of the house, and I struggle to make the time to get out and do it..

2) Remembering to change my shooting angle (get lower, higher etc.) to add interest to the shot. I get so focused on focus (!) and exposure, I always forget to think about my shooting angle.

3) Getting DOF right - always seems to be too deep or too shallow.

That's my list!

1) Confidence. I lack it! I am never 100% sure that I even know what I'm doing, and often my lack of confidence leads me to take the easy, less creative route during a shoot for fear that deviating at all will lead to no results.

2) Technical knowledge. I am self taught, as it seems most photographers are these days in my experience. There are huge blank spots in my knowledge about photography that I find lead to me missing good shots. Not having knowledge of my equipment and how to use it come to me fast enough.

3) Time time time. I often don't have enough of it to shoot everything I want to shoot. Sometimes I end up in a rut where all I do is either shoot clients or don't shoot at all. I wish I had more time in between during which I could practice, shoot a broader range of subject matter, and practice which would help me take care of issue #2 above. :)

1-Issues with the lens cap--it seems to prevent the light from entering quite often, so I always have to force myself to remember to remove the lens cap.

2-Issues with memory cards--I always have to remember to put in a memory card. I once drove 25 miles to a birthday party,and arrived with no memory card in the camera. I have such a bad memory most of the time, but I remember that time because I have no precious memories of that memorable birthday party. All I remember was a Canon 20D and no CF card.

3-Trying to see the little symbols on my Canon's top control panel. Which teensy-tiny icon is for Incandescent? Is that symbol a fluorescent tube, or a Lowel Tota-Lite? Is that icon the one for a light bulb, or is that the little 'idea lightbulb' light bulb? Things like these are the trickiest ones for me.

How about you, Redwood?

Most reactions

Back