a quick eqiupment question for my first wedding

In my business if I don't have the machinery to produce the product I sell, I can not sell it. Therefore I need to make the initial investment in the proper equipment to to operate in business. It's as simple as that.

If you don't have the proper equipment or can not find the means to legally fund it, you can not operate. Simply put, do not shoot an event that you are not properly equipped for.

Above everything else, you need a backup battery. You may think your battery is alright, but so did I...

From your site

Jim currently resides in New York City but might be found anywhere in the world either shooting weddings, commercial projects, or simply traveling and developing new work for galleries and exhibitions.

I wonder how this is Jim's first wedding and yet he manages to travel and shoot weddings? Let's ask Jim :)

And all of this is being done with a prosumer camera, with inadequate lens, a very questionable backup camera, and little else, including enough knowledge of what is needed to produce professional quality results.

Seems like if one were doing all this travelling for weddings and commercial projects, some of that money already earned would have already been invested in adequate equipment.

Makes me think of "fake it till ya make it"

Patrick, I'll disagree with you on the camera, there's nothing wrong with 40D. Personally, I think on Canons anything above and including 20D will produce adequate results if done correctly and on Nikon anything above D70 will do the same.
But again, there's more to a camera that is needed to produce good image(s).

Patrick, I'll disagree with you on the camera, there's nothing wrong with 40D. Personally, I think on Canons anything above and including 20D will produce adequate results if done correctly and on Nikon anything above D70 will do the same.
But again, there's more to a camera that is needed to produce good image(s).

My bad, I stand corrected...

That said, with whatever single body is being used, you probably still get my point.

I'm shooting my first wedding in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if I could get a little feedback on an issue I have.

From your website: "New York Photographer Jim Powell specializes in corporate art and wedding photography..."

I didn't know you could specialize in something you've never done before. You're a fraud and a liar. Whether or not your current wedding client understands your skill level, the bottom line is you're trying to misrepresent yourself as a professional,; which you neither have the equipment, experience or skill to back up such a claim.

GeneralBenson

I'm shooting my first wedding in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if I could get a little feedback on an issue I have.
From your website: "New York Photographer Jim Powell specializes in corporate art and wedding photography..."

I didn't know you could specialize in something you've never done before. You're a fraud and a liar. Whether or not your current wedding client understands your skill level, the bottom line is you're trying to misrepresent yourself as a professional,; which you neither have the equipment, experience or skill to back up such a claim.
You can't call him a liar, it'll hurt his feelings. Last time I did that...
Quote: Originally Posted by IgsEMT
SUM UP
Wedding Photography, a business that already is suffering is now at risk of getting being "lied to" yet again by a wana be. Feel bad for clients. On the special day they really should deserve Professional, not a phony. In time, you will pay the price for hurting the industry and your ethics. We all have to answer for our choices at one point or another.
a wanna be? Lied to? I've been honest and open with my client. They have been the same way with me. They can't afford thousands on an established photographer. That's why they hired me. They know i'm new at this. They know they're not going to get the quality that a seasoned pro will offer. I'm not doing anything to hurt the industry. Get off your high horse. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

Lets give it the benefit of doubt I will answer your initial question.

First you have a 40D nice camera and it can do the job.
As someone mention before you did not present a flash on your equipment trust me you will need one and to that, add a diffuser, I will suggest the Gary Fong is big and ugly but do the job.

What about Memory cards how you are running with those you will need at least 4 with 4gb I mention that because do to your inexperience you will need to shoot a lot more in order to nail more photos.

Now I will put a real situation that happen to me once. I was using my D300 and I was doing a photoshoot for a model agency sudendly one of my big CF card 8GB get damage and I never was able to recover those photos we have to reschedule the shooting for another day thanks GOD that we can reschedule on a wedding you can not do that and that would be a sue for you and trust me you do not want that.

Now how you are going to prevent all those things?

Beside that get the flash that you need 580exII cost around $450, the flash only cost more than the total that you are going to receive for the wedding. Now, you are from NYC so you can rent it on adorama fine those are 35.

Another situation if your body get broke what you are going to do?

If somebody drop a glass of wine or liquor on the camera that you plan to buy and return the store do not want that back.

My point is that if you are really interested on doing wedding get yourself the 5dmkII or you can get a 7d and make the investment and continue to looking for more geeks to get the money back and next time do not charge so cheap because now you know why the pros charge a lot not only for the image quality if not for the investment that they are carrying on their necks to get those nice photos.

Most reactions

Back