A quick RAW question.

Pirate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had to download the new version of raw from adobe to get things to work properly with the new 40d. Following my download I noticed that in the filmstrip/preview area the thumbnails show as only a file number and symbol representing the photo itself. I have to double click the file info to get the photo to come up, however this takes away the use of the loupe. Is there something that I am missing here ? I would really appreciate some help, thanks in advance. Scott

Are you using a Mac? I really don't have any useful info except to say that we use Macs in my classes and I have the same problem there. It's not an issue on my PC. However, I'm working with Nikon's version of RAW which are .NEF files.

I'm sorry, I forgot to add the important info, I'm using a pc and windows vista premium. And I downloaded the new version directly from Adobe as instructed.

I really thought that I would have some more answers by now. I thought that everyone with a 40D and CS3 would have had to deal with this at one time or another. If not maybe you could let me know how you got away from this issue.

It isn't a problem with your PC or Mac. You can't preview RAW images in thumbnails at all. Sort of.

A RAW image is actually proprietary to each manufacturer, be it Canon, Nikon or whatever. By definition a RAW image is just an uncompressed image with all of it's EXIF data. It's up to the manufacturer to set up how it wants to save the file. RAW is just the name given to this general category of uncompressed images.Windows (or Macs) can't process every manufacturer's version of the RAW file. You have to open the file with Adobe CameraRAW or some other program that can open all these different extensions and save it as a .tif or jpeg or something else that Windows recognizes.

Hope that solves it. It's not a problem with Windows or Mac OS, just life.

I guess that I forgot to mention that I use Photoshop CS3 master suite, and bridge to open my raw files. What's strange is that I can open raw files from any other camera, any camera that is except for my 40D. Or let me rephrase that, I can open and view thumbnails from other cameras, without issue.

I am not sure this will help, but its handy to have anyway. This is the NEF Codec for Windows, so your system will know how to display NEF files on its own. this will allow you to see thumbnails in thumbnail or filmstrip view in folders.

http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

From your description you are not able to see thumbnails within Adobe apps?

Since you are using ad 40D and not a Nikon D40, I would sugest you try and get the latest Canon Raw codec for windows. YOu should be able to download it from the Canon website.

homer_doh.png

sorry for the confusion. I REALLY need to stop posting before I had my coffee.

Most reactions

Back