A quick tip on focusing

Slaphead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took a picture of a dog for somebody recently, and, having read sabbeth999's excellent article on zoo photography, I ensured that I focused on the eyes. All seemed good until I looked at the picture on the computer - the eyes seemed razor sharp but the rest of the dog, even the hairs around the eyes, was not sharp - at all.

Eventually I realised that the focusing engine had focused on the reflection in the dogs eyes, and not on the dogs eyes.

I reshot the dog, but this time focusing on a point close to the eyes, but not actually on the eyes - result perfect ;)

I'm sure the old hands round here know this already, but I just thought I'd share what I gained from this experience.

I took a picture of a dog for somebody recently, and, having read sabbeth999's excellent article on zoo photography, I ensured that I focused on the eyes. All seemed good until I looked at the picture on the computer - the eyes seemed razor sharp but the rest of the dog, even the hairs around the eyes, was not sharp - at all.

Eventually I realised that the focusing engine had focused on the reflection in the dogs eyes, and not on the dogs eyes.

I reshot the dog, but this time focusing on a point close to the eyes, but not actually on the eyes - result perfect ;)

I'm sure the old hands round here know this already, but I just thought I'd share what I gained from this experience.

Thanks for the tips! :) Btw, this applies to portraits too?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back