A Real Dog Fight

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can't seem to let Sadie out of my sight, never know what she might get into.:allteeth: Working on one of the most difficult composites I've tackled to date. Multiple images, multiple effects, and it's starting to wear on me. So, to much, to little, where do I need work. C&C will be appreciated.

View attachment 179523

Last edited:
Proportion's off with the size of the two planes, and the flames.

Sadie needs goggles. And where's Snoopy??

Ummm... the text on Sadie's 'plane is mirrored. I think it's a great idea and a great execution, but I think Sadie needs to be much more prominent.

Yup, I didn't catch that until I'd posted, was hoping no one would notice. :ambivalence: Apparently "flipping" an image in Ps doesn't auto correct text. :allteeth: Not happy with her being hidden either. I had to transform the cockpit area to get enough room for her as it was, going any larger looked even stranger then a dog flying an airplane. LOL I really need a different plane.

Proportion's off with the size of the two planes, and the flames.

Sadie needs goggles. And where's Snoopy??

Perspective in a composition is a struggle. I was trying to keep Sadie more prominent but I think it's off.

Not really visable but Sadie has a fur trimmed aviator hat with goggles that we found on our last trip. She is playing the part of Snoopy in this one.

@Jeff15 thank you

Fixing the text is easy, just select the text and flip it. What if you skip the whole ground scene and go for a close up of Snoop Sadie chasing the Baron?

Fixing the text is easy, just select the text and flip it. What if you skip the whole ground scene and go for a close up of Snoop Sadie chasing the Baron?

Snoopy's plane of cartoon lore, is a highly modified Sopwith, with wing forward, allowing the pilot to actually be above the top of the wing. I've found an antique die cast Snoopy version on Ebay that isn't much, I'm seriously considering ordering. I photograph it, at the angles I need, making it easier to make the composite. What's a few bucks for art.....right???

Snoopy's plane of cartoon lore, is a highly modified Sopwith, with wing forward, allowing the pilot to actually be above the top of the wing. I've found an antique die cast Snoopy version on Ebay that isn't much, I'm seriously considering ordering. I photograph it, at the angles I need, making it easier to make the composite. What's a few bucks for art.....right???
Absolutely nothing... or at least that's what I tell the Minister of Finance when the Visa bill comes in! :lol: What about taking it to the next level? Build a Sadie-scale Sopwith Mk1S ('S' for Snoopy of course)?

What about taking it to the next level? Build a Sadie-scale Sopwith Mk1S ('S' for Snoopy of course)?

Would you believe I thought about it LOL but just the cockpit area.

And, for extra credit, add in Snoopy in his Sopwith doghouse!

Tried getting Sadie to sit on a dog house but she kept sliding off. :biglaugh:

I am very surprised that you did not see the reversed lettering on the "Sopwith"....as a boy I was fascinated by the flying aces of World War I, and had a book by the same name,and wouldn't you know it one of my grandfather's much older hunting partners from the 1940s was a man named Elmer D.Cook... he had actually been a world war one aviator, and was a member of the famous Hat in the Ring squadron, the same squadron of famous American ace Eddie Rickenbacker.

on one visit to his home, he showed us the squadron photo, a very large framed black-and-white enlargement and something which I will never forget: Two sticks from World War I combat aircraft. One stick was a rather crudely bent-at-the-end affair, with a single thum button for machine gun firing...The other stick was from a crashed Fokker triplane, with a palm-filling,carved wooden hand grip and two triggers, one above the other. The German stick was far superior in fit and finish, and feel and functionality. The Germans had the ability to use one gun or both; the American/British plane had a single thumb-activated button atop the stick. Elmer opined that the German aircraft were markedly superior to what his guys were forced to use.

I bet there are only a few people that know that the old Spad was known for occasionally shucking off of the canvas that was held on to the wings when the plane was in a steep dive at high speed…A very serious design/manufacturing fault of the era… Something that never occurs when wings are made of aluminum or other metal...

I am very surprised that you did not see the reversed lettering

So much for Ps and their "Content Aware" artificial intelligence. :allteeth:

The Sopwith of Snoopy fame was a second generation of the "Pup", the official name was the "Big Pup". The unofficial name was the "Camel". Called that because of the metal fairing over the gun breeches, intended to protect the guns from freezing at altitude, created a "hump" that looked like a Camel's hump. It also earned the reputation of a pilot killer, because of it's difficult handling. Almost 90% of the aircraft's weight was within the front seven feet of the aircraft, and the strong gyroscopic effect of the rotary engine made for difficult and unforgiving handling, but also extremely maneuverable in the hands of someone who knew how to utilize those features.

Looks good to me. Love the concept and I thought of Snoopy. When I work on a composite I usually do not look at it for a few days. Let the eyes rest and see anew.

Most reactions

Back