A request, please.

mygrain said:
78datsunb210.jpg

laugh if you will!!:meh:
This was my first car... it was Datsun at the time but it's Nissan now... man i miss that thing. Yeah it smelled of rotting fish bait, had tires made completely of "fix a flat" , and was dubbed "The Rollerskate" but I still miss that thing. And it was soooooooooo easy to work on.

oh BTW C- manual trans can be a pain in town especially in a hilly town like oxford but it's the only way to go IMO. You have so much more control over the car's performance. and "nope" it's not too hard to learn and it will be second nature in no time.

Sweet! My first Car was a Datsun 610...finally had to give it up because of rust...but man, it still ran great.

Good job shopping around Core, you really have to stick it to those car salesmen. It's kind of cliché to call them sleazy...but quite often it's true.

I've had GM vehicles for a while now...not really by choice...just that they were the best vehicles (for the price) at the time. I would much rather have bought a Japanese vehicle.

core_17 said:
One more quick question...I'm considering going with a manual transmission, but I do not yet know who to drive stick. Is it too terribly hard to learn?

I learned on the autobahn in Germany, during rush hour, on a hill :p

It's fun, and easy to learn. Go to a parking lot and practice for a few days. You'll be fine.

I also grew up in a GM family, and had never driven anything but Chevys and Oldsmobiles. I had an 85 Chevy Impala that I put over 100k miles on, and an 87 Chevy Caprice Classic which I also put over 100k miles on. Then I decided to get a newer car, and bought a 2 year old Chevy Malibu. It was back to the dealer for repairs about 7 times in the first year. It almost qualified for the lemon law in Ohio. That car was overpriced to begin with, and cost me so much in non-warranty repairs, that I decided it would be the last Chevy I'd ever drive. I traded it in, a 5 year old car that costed about $16k new, and got $2k for it on a trade in for a brand new Mitsubishi Lancer. I got a great deal on the Lancer that includes maintenence for 5 years, and 10 years of bumper to bumper warranty. I'm never buying American again.

Well, the salesmen called ME this morning, and said he was talking with his manager and he thinks he can get me a lower price (ha!)....he said he had to talk to the owner and see how low he could go. Well, he called back and what he quoted me was STILL $1000 over what they have it listed for on the internet. (still haven't told him I saw the internet price). I told him that I talked it over with my boyfriend, and he doesn't want me to go over my original budget (which I told him was $700 less than the internet price)...I also told him I'm waiting to hear back from other dealers with quotes. Haha...we'll see what happens. No way in hell I'm paying a dime over the price they have it for on the internet, and hopefully I'll be able to get them down even further (maybe). I'd be happy even if it was only $100 or $200 lower, cuz the internet price is totally do-able, and getting them down further than that would purely be for the principle of the matter (I'm mad that he thinks he's gonna screw me). HA! Too bad I REFUSE to pay anything more, so either he goes down, or I go elsewhere. (I feel like, all rebelious n stuff)

I read an article, a long time ago, about internet car prices. Local dealers were getting ****ed off because people would buy cars they found from other dealers on the interent...but then bring their cars to the local dealership for warranty maintainance...which lowers their margins. Boo Hoo

Either way, get the best deal you can.

Dealerships should get screwed.

Most shady business in the world. (My mechanic Dad works at a Chrysler Dealership).

Big Mike said:
I read an article, a long time ago, about internet car prices. Local dealers were getting ****ed off because people would buy cars they found from other dealers on the interent...but then bring their cars to the local dealership for warranty maintainance...which lowers their margins. Boo Hoo

Either way, get the best deal you can.

No, you don't understand...this is the SAME CAR from the same dealership. Exact same car that I test drove. So, they have an internet deal on the same car that's $1000 lower than what they quoted me. I dunno. I'm getting stressed out now though. :confused:

Oh...I see. Ya, I didn't understand.

I see on a lot of ads around here, that you have to call/e-mail a certain person and mention the 'special internet price'.

You should call him on it...although I'm sure he'll feed you some BS.

They are just so manipulative...if you can stick it to them...might as well try. Although even when you think you stuck it to them...they still make their money and laugh after you are gone.

A good trick my friend pulled was this. A dealership had their Push-pull-or drag sale, guarantied $2000 trade in. So they went in and negotiated a price without telling them that they wanted to trade in...then at the last minute, he says...great, we'll just take $2000 off that price for a trade in...and we are good to go. The sales guys tried to back up, saying "Oh, I didn't give you the "trade in Price". So my friend starts calling the guy a fraud etc. They eventually got their good price plus the full trade-in value.

Big Mike said:
Oh...I see. Ya, I didn't understand.

I see on a lot of ads around here, that you have to call/e-mail a certain person and mention the 'special internet price'.

You should call him on it...although I'm sure he'll feed you some BS.

They are just so manipulative...if you can stick it to them...might as well try. Although even when you think you stuck it to them...they still make their money and laugh after you are gone.

A good trick my friend pulled was this. A dealership had their Push-pull-or drag sale, guarantied $2000 trade in. So they went in and negotiated a price without telling them that they wanted to trade in...then at the last minute, he says...great, we'll just take $2000 off that price for a trade in...and we are good to go. The sales guys tried to back up, saying "Oh, I didn't give you the "trade in Price". So my friend starts calling the guy a fraud etc. They eventually got their good price plus the full trade-in value.

Nice. I haven't heard about any of those sales around here lately...wish there was. Unfortunately, my car is worth $500 MAX trade in value :er: ...so I'll just be selling it outright.

Ya, I was told not to trade in my car when I got the new(er) one.

A former car salesman said that unless they can sell the trade in for more than $2000 or ($5000)...they don't really change the value that you pay. They just inflate the price and appear to drop it down.

Big Mike said:
Ya, I was told not to trade in my car when I got the new(er) one.

A former car salesman said that unless they can sell the trade in for more than $2000 or ($5000)...they don't really change the value that you pay. They just inflate the price and appear to drop it down.

Yeah, that's what my boyfriend told me, too. (He used to be a mechanic at a Hyundai dealer)

Ok...so, I decided to wait on the whole car thing, even though the car I am looking at really is a good deal, and stick with my original plan (save another $1000 so I have a big downpayment)...cuz this past few days has STRESSED ME OUT! Anyway...Mr. Car Salesman called me yesterday to see if I would be coming by with Erik so he can check the car out. I told him I'd decided to wait, like I had planned. Well, he called back today again. He said he wanted to make sure that my decision to wait wasn't because of something he did or said wrong (I thought this was my carsalesmen, not boyfriend!? :confused: ) I told him no, I'm just going to wait. Then he goes on to ask me if he came acrossed such and such type of car, with such and such features and miles, would I be interested. After a wading through more of that crap, we got back to talking about the first car, and I told him I wasn't going to pay more than the rock bottom price for a car, to which he replied that he totally understood, and that I he was positive that I wouldn't find a similar car for anything close to what he was selling it to me for. That's when I told him that I knew he could sell me that car for cheaper, because they have the same car he's trying to sell me on the internet for much cheaper. At this point he begins playing stupid, saying he had no idea they were selling it for cheaper, and gives me some sort of "the boss's son is the one who does the internet stuff" excuse, and he told me that he'd check it out with his boss and get back to me (he just called back as I was writing this sentence). Ok...when he just called, he tells me his boss put it on the internet for that price late last week, so I can, in fact get it for that price. Not only that, but til the end of February, I get the $500 autoshow bonus. Also, he talkedt o his boss, and they'll throw in a years worth of oil changes free. Hmmmm...tempting...but I dunno. I think I'll make em go down yet another couple of hundred, then I'll think about it! :lol:

core_17 said:
Ok...so, I decided to wait on the whole car thing, even though the car I am looking at really is a good deal, and stick with my original plan (save another $1000 so I have a big downpayment)...cuz this past few days has STRESSED ME OUT! Anyway...Mr. Car Salesman called me yesterday to see if I would be coming by with Erik so he can check the car out. I told him I'd decided to wait, like I had planned. Well, he called back today again. He said he wanted to make sure that my decision to wait wasn't because of something he did or said wrong (I thought this was my carsalesmen, not boyfriend!? :confused: ) I told him no, I'm just going to wait. Then he goes on to ask me if he came acrossed such and such type of car, with such and such features and miles, would I be interested. After a wading through more of that crap, we got back to talking about the first car, and I told him I wasn't going to pay more than the rock bottom price for a car, to which he replied that he totally understood, and that I he was positive that I wouldn't find a similar car for anything close to what he was selling it to me for. That's when I told him that I knew he could sell me that car for cheaper, because they have the same car he's trying to sell me on the internet for much cheaper. At this point he begins playing stupid, saying he had no idea they were selling it for cheaper, and gives me some sort of "the boss's son is the one who does the internet stuff" excuse, and he told me that he'd check it out with his boss and get back to me (he just called back as I was writing this sentence). Ok...when he just called, he tells me his boss put it on the internet for that price late last week, so I can, in fact get it for that price. Not only that, but til the end of February, I get the $500 autoshow bonus. Also, he talkedt o his boss, and they'll throw in a years worth of oil changes free. Hmmmm...tempting...but I dunno. I think I'll make em go down yet another couple of hundred, then I'll think about it! :lol:

Good job..

Most reactions

Back