A risky engagement shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to just say that You guys that are ripping on me are pretty much assuming that I and my clients like "your type" of photography. I haven't ever had a shoot that a client hasn't liked. This couple wanted a moody and dark shoot. They were stoked with the results and I am as well. Why do you have to go out of your way to push your style to others. Maybe I didn't want flash. Maybe I wanted a photo that has some shadowing? My full res shots are not lacking sharpness and they look great. There is a little noise if your pixel peeping, but I blew one up to 16x24 and it looks great.

We went into the shoot with the understanding that if they didn't turn out that we would just do a reshoot outside in the day. They wanted to have some fun and so did I. It's called being flexible and trying new things when your clients wants too. I am very honest with people and I don't lead them down a path of destruction

So to the hater's here. Trying something risky as long as your honest isn't a bad thing, try being flexible sometime. I may get paid to shoot weddings, but that doesn't mean I am a master of photography. I am learning something new everyday and some of that happens when I am out on paid gigs.

I want to just say that You guys that are ripping on me are pretty much assuming that I and my clients like "your type" of photography. I haven't ever had a shoot that a client hasn't liked. This couple wanted a moody and dark shoot. They were stoked with the results and I am as well. Why do you have to go out of your way to push your style to others. Maybe I didn't want flash. Maybe I wanted a photo that has some shadowing? My full res shots are not lacking sharpness and they look great. There is a little noise if your pixel peeping, but I blew one up to 16x24 and it looks great.

We went into the shoot with the understanding that if they didn't turn out that we would just do a reshoot outside in the day. They wanted to have some fun and so did I. It's called being flexible and trying new things when your clients wants too. I am very honest with people and I don't lead them down a path of destruction

So to the hater's here. Trying something risky as long as your honest isn't a bad thing, try being flexible sometime. I may get paid to shoot weddings, but that doesn't mean I am a master of photography. I am learning something new everyday and some of that happens when I am out on paid gigs.

I'm glad that your clients liked the shots. That's the main thing. You also now say that your clients knew you were taking a risk and that if the shots didn't turn out you'd reshoot. If you had said that in the beginning I'd have been a bit easier on you. You came off as being quite pleased with shots where the color was off, the lighting was sub par and some of the shots weren't very sharp.

Having said that, I still stand by my critique of your shots. If your clients liked the shots, think how happy they would be if they looked even better. A little bit of time spent on setting up a couple of off camera lights would have done wonders for your pictures.

Nevertheless, they're your shots. If you're proud of them it doesn't matter what somebody else on an internet forum thinks about them, however, you chose to take them down so I assume that perhaps some of what I said rings true.

I honestly wish you the best of luck and hope that you continue to please your clients.

Had he posted this in the Professional Gallery, I would understand the comments... However.. he did not. Also, I can't comment on the original picture because it was taken down.. So I don't know what he said or what the picture looked like.

I think the word Professional is being used loosely here. I see a Professional as getting majority of their income from what they do.

Hey Jcolman, since you have decide to make it your mission to make this a very uncomfortable place to share photos, I am going to pull these photos. You have overdominated your opinion and its to a point that I don't see this thread doing anything more. I don't expect chearleading, but I am not looking to have you post 8 times defending your opinion with a lot of agression.

You are kinda an jerk.

Tony cant attest to this, I am doing just fine in the real world and this is a perfect example why I left TPF a while back.

I'm out.

I'm an ass. If I would have actually critiqued your photos instead of saying:

Half of them have their facial features under exposed..

You'd probably be PO'ed at me. But I hate the "good game" syndrome that persist in many online communities. That's why I don't post a lot of my photos unless they're shots I really think are good. I know when to step back and detach myself from my work so I don't get worked up and emotional when some one says it sucks...But that's the hall mark of a good photographer, not being so emotionally attached that you think your work is impeccable when it's not. That's definitely the mark of a professional pro.

Had he posted this in the Professional Gallery, I would understand the comments... However.. he did not. Also, I can't comment on the original picture because it was taken down.. So I don't know what he said or what the picture looked like.

I think the word Professional is being used loosely here. I see a Professional as getting majority of their income from what they do.

He charged the clients money for his work. That makes him responsible to deliver a quality product and therefore a professional.

Had these been shots submitted by an amateur or had he said off the bat that he was experimenting and not charging the clients, I would have been gentle in my comments.

Hey Jcolman, since you have decide to make it your mission to make this a very uncomfortable place to share photos, I am going to pull these photos. You have overdominated your opinion and its to a point that I don't see this thread doing anything more. I don't expect chearleading, but I am not looking to have you post 8 times defending your opinion with a lot of agression.

You are kinda an jerk.

Tony cant attest to this, I am doing just fine in the real world and this is a perfect example why I left TPF a while back.

I'm out.

wait... what can't i attest to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back