A Rose

Pink and red are nearly the same hue. Pink -- a common color name -- is created by tinting red with white and adding just a hint of blue. Pure red has a hue value of 360. Pink has a hue value of 350 and anyone shown a darker more saturated hue 350 would call it red without hesitation. See illustration:

pink_roses.jpg

These are knockout roses. They were hybridized a few years ago and are now particularly popular for their disease resistance. So popular in fact that anyone who plants another one around the local quickie mart should be punished.

Since they are a fairly new hybrid there's not a lot of color variation out there yet. Hue value is lower than either red or pink, more like between 330 and 335.

The problem in this thread relative to color is a color space coercion problem occurring with the camera's image processor. The camera sensor is picking up colors on the threshold of the sRGB color space and as it coerces those color into range it posterizes them. The only fix for this problem is to shoot the original in RAW and very carefully process with a good RAW converter. The camera software is guaranteed to screw these up.

Joe

P.S. My wife is a botanist. I'm a photographer happily married to a botanist for the past 30 years. Would you like to see some flower pictures?

Well that was alot of info, I shot them in RAW I didn't edit them at all just right off the camera. I have lightroom and a version of photoshop, yeah go ahead and post some pics. I am sure your photos will put mine to shame but that is ok

Sorry, no offense intended -- just saying I'm very used to photographing flowers.

I assumed these were camera JPEGS -- my bad. If you shot them in RAW then the color posterization can be worked with. Adobe ACR (Lightroom) isn't the best at handling this problem and if you took them straight through Lightroom it did much the same thing your camera image processor would have done -- just trying to help.

Joe

I shot them in raw but saved them under jpeg since the photo doesn't show up in my folders of the actual photo, so I have 2 copies. Do you know why it does that?? This was my first and second attempt at photographing flowers I had to wait for the right weather for them to bloom :). First time angle wasn't the best so went back out and tried again. I did no editing to the photos so straight off the camera. I always try what is suggested to me no matter what, since I am new to all of this. Should I be using a different editing program?

So you are shooting RAW, but don't know why.
If you are just saving these straight of the camera, and not editing, why not just shoot JPEG???:scratch:

I shot them in raw but saved them under jpeg since the photo doesn't show up in my folders of the actual photo, so I have 2 copies. Do you know why it does that??

If I read it correctly, you're not seeing thumbnails when you're viewing a folder full of RAW files? If that's the case, the it's because Windows doesn't support RAW format natively. I'm not sure if Canon is the same but Nikon has a plug in that will allow you to view RAW files, but I don't think you can edit it with Nikon View NX software. This is due to the fact Nikon RAW format is proprietary I believe.

chaosrealm93 said:
you should try playing around with effects such as vignetting and selective coloring to draw the viewer's eyes to the red rose

Are you serious?

Yeah, I posted one like that once, not a good idea unless you handle extreme criticism well (which I don't).....

Bitter Jeweler - I read or was told on here to shoot raw easier to edit, I guess I should edit before I put them on here.

Vtec44 - yeah that is right can't see the photos.

Butter Jeweler - yeah I don't think I will do that went through it once before

Thanks everyone!! see you in the a.m.

Most reactions

Back