A simple tip that will teach you loads about photography

Great post!

What I did is when I got in photography I learned the more traditional method, film and all manual controls, working in a dark room, etc. Then I bought my digital and used that, carrying over what I learned. I think I got so much more out of my digital because of my knowledge from my film work. I am appreciative of the traditional ways!

EBphotography said:
Great post!

What I did is when I got in photography I learned the more traditional method, film and all manual controls, working in a dark room, etc. Then I bought my digital and used that, carrying over what I learned. I think I got so much more out of my digital because of my knowledge from my film work. I am appreciative of the traditional ways!
Same here, except i won't be on digital untill my next paycheck.

KS has it right. I routinely work with any number of different design and format film cameras. On top of that, my Lady works in digital [please excuse my use of the 'D' word] and will soon be up-grading to a DSLR. I'll be working with that puppy, too. [And yes, you can teach an old dog new cameras.]

After a while, the 'behind the scene*' thinking for an exposure becomes just that. You can then devote more time to lighting, composition and the desired appearance of the finished print.

*Choice of phrase fully intentional -- love word-play.

thank you for the advice, lended an old film slr for a day and you sure are right, i learned alot.

well i've always wanted to try a Leica... i guess i better keep dreamin :lol:

I've tried a:
TLR: yashica
DSLR: 300D, 1DmkII, Evolt
SLR: Zenit, A-1, AE-1, pentax K1000
A couple point and shoots - film and digital
A canonet rangefinder

I will soon get a monorail - just to be sure it's the composition and light that make the picture. ;)

I have to say that the camera I am shooting with influences the way I end up working. The interface is different and leaves a fingerprint on my work and the shooting style.

But in the end matt is right of course. It's all about the light and composition.

DocFrankenstein said:
I have to say that the camera I am shooting with influences the way I end up working. The interface is different and leaves a fingerprint on my work and the shooting style.

I definately agree. Obviously some camera designs work better for some subjects. Even if the photographer has more fun using one camera over another affects the outcome.

Using my Rollei TLR I noticed I was doing a better job catching facial expressions and getting great eye contact. Not having a camera in front of my face totally changed how photographer and subject reacted. So I got waist level finders for my medium format SLRs.

In many cases I think it's very possible to use what has been learned with one camera when using a different camera. The cliche anecdote is that big film slows the photographer down, while digital causes them to lose all control and rush about snapping pics and filling memory cards willy-nilly. I think it's possible that the big film can teach control because it tends to punish taking short-cuts, but I don't blame a DSLR for issues that are completely within the photographer's mind. With just a little self discipline it's possible to create a photograph using a DSLR with the same deliberate methods as with a view camera.

Since I got my DSLR I've become interested in color again. I don't shoot any color film anymore, so when I go photographing landscapes I take both my 4x5 for BW, and my DSLR for color. In the field it doesn't matter which camera I'm using at the moment. I still take my time with each shot, and at the end of the day I have just about as many files as exposed sheets of 4x5.

Another thing about trying different gear is that you find out that there are other ideas about what a camera is besides the 35mm SLR style that has dominated for decades. The 35mm SLR/DSLR is a great all-around camera design to cover all the subjects and situations photographers are likely to be shooting. But I think most photographers specialize in particular subject, or a few, and may find that something besides the do-all SLR/DSLR actually works better for them.

I agree about film. I've shot around 5 rolls of color negative, and while it looks cool printed optically, I don't have the time to actually do it.

Digital offers more control, unless you're shooting really contrasty stuff.

But digital does force you to shoot a lot. The difference in shooting with the A-1 and the rebel is that I can actually see my subject clearly. With the rebel the eyes simply get tired from the dim image after some time.

DocFrankenstein said:
The difference in shooting with the A-1 and the rebel is that I can actually see my subject clearly. With the rebel the eyes simply get tired from the dim image after some time.

I looked through a 5D the other day, and screw the increased resolution (well, not really ;) ), I need one for the big, bright viewfinder!

5D isn't something to write home about either.

My A-1 has a magnification of about .93 while the 5D is only .7

So A1 is almost 2x area wise.

Contax and I think minolta made really bright screens with 1x magnification. I'd really enjoy one of those, but I don't think Canon will ever make it like that.

markc said:
The brightness of the viewfinder will depend a lot on the max aperture of the lens, since that's what you are looking through, but of course the size doesn't.

I use mainly f/1.8 primes with my 20D's; I've even installed split-ring screens that are supposedly brighter than stock, and it's still too small and dim. Of course, my favorite viewfinder to look through is on my Pentax 67II. It's like watching a big screen TV. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back