A slight pickle, what to rent?

I think he just wants to have a kewl lens to play with :)
There's not much cooler than a T/S in the lens world, except maybe for an 800mm f5.6....!

Do you have one of either that I could borrow for 7 da ... wee ... mo .... years ?

No problem at all, we'll just start with a little paperwork. Please complete the attached agreement form in quintuplicate, include two DNA samples, the deed to your home and your first-born child.

There's not much cooler than a T/S in the lens world, except maybe for an 800mm f5.6....!

Do you have one of either that I could borrow for 7 da ... wee ... mo .... years ?

No problem at all, we'll just start with a little paperwork. Please complete the attached agreement form in quintuplicate, include two DNA samples, the deed to your home and your first-born child.
So you are going to feed, cloth and nuture a kid for 7 years
I think I would get the better bargain ... :lmao:

So funny.

it's your funeral.

Like Tired Iron said, I don't have the time to learn a TS lens. Maybe at some point. But I make it an point to not use UWA for my building shots to avoid distortion.

Of course... the point of the tilt-shift is that the images don't get the distortion that other lenses would normally have. But they do take a bit of time to learn the "tilt" aspect -- but I don't think you'll need the tilt aspect of the lens. These lenses are ideal for architecture and landscape shots.

e.g.:

That's just using the "shift" feature on the lens -- tilt is not necessary here (these are shot at f/11 -- there's no depth of field problem to worry about.)

Incidentally... that was the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II. All tilt-shift lenses are manual focus only (your hand is the focus motor) but the camera's focus points will blink for you when it thinks you've manually focused it correctly.

One little tip I've learned.... the human eye does expect tall things to get narrow as they get tall. If you make the sides of a tall structure "perfectly" parallel lines then the eye gets a bit of an optical illusion as though the building is getting wider (even though it's not). So the guidance on these things is to make it parallel... and then just barely back it off so that it "looks" good to the eye (even though no longer technically perfectly parallel).

And just because I'm into astronomy... that small little white "nick" you see just to the upper right of the white tower on this building... that's not a defect. That's the crescent moon.

Of course... the point of the tilt-shift is that the images don't get the distortion that other lenses would normally have. But they do take a bit of time to learn the "tilt" aspect -- but I don't think you'll need the tilt aspect of the lens. These lenses are ideal for architecture and landscape shots. e.g.: https://flic.kr/p/b8C3xK https://flic.kr/p/b8C3mH That's just using the "shift" feature on the lens -- tilt is not necessary here (these are shot at f/11 -- there's no depth of field problem to worry about.) Incidentally... that was the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II. All tilt-shift lenses are manual focus only (your hand is the focus motor) but the camera's focus points will blink for you when it thinks you've manually focused it correctly. One little tip I've learned.... the human eye does expect tall things to get narrow as they get tall. If you make the sides of a tall structure "perfectly" parallel lines then the eye gets a bit of an optical illusion as though the building is getting wider (even though it's not). So the guidance on these things is to make it parallel... and then just barely back it off so that it "looks" good to the eye (even though no longer technically perfectly parallel). And just because I'm into astronomy... that small little white "nick" you see just to the upper right of the white tower on this building... that's not a defect. That's the crescent moon.

Very cool. From what I seen id really benefit from the shift function and I constant do interiors.

Anyone head about the Ronkinon TS lens? I would love to get the canon 17mm but for 2.5k that is a lot for a single purpose lens.

The Rokinon's 24mm TS lenses I see on eBay for $700

also .. I use the Vertical feature in Lightroom to kind emulate the T/S lens feature to fix verticals

I use the Vertical feature in Lightroom to kind emulate the T/S lens feature to fix verticals

no pixels are harmed when you use a TS lens :)

I use the Vertical feature in Lightroom to kind emulate the T/S lens feature to fix verticals

no pixels are harmed when you use a TS lens :)

yup
When one uses the vertical or horizontal correction features a bit to liberally it also introduces some forced cropping scenarios.

runnah, you could just rent that sub you've always wanted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back