a studio lighting kit and some photography equipments suggestions

hahastar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a family business selling small home objects (vases, glasses, mirrors etc.). So I need to routinely take pictures for my catalog. Since I am also into photography, I would like to invest some money into a studio lighting kit and some photography equipments. I want to go beyond the boring white seamless background look, and make some of my products more fun, creative and professional(the kind pictures you see from magazine). I might do some portrait or food photography in the future too.
I already have my Canon 350D with the kit lens. And my budget is 1500USD(2000 top). This will need to include the meter, lens, and studio lighting kit.
For lighting kit, I will properly get alien bees(digi bees), since everyone says it is good. But how many lights do you suggest I get? Some told me has to get at least 3 lights to produce commercial looking pictures. I wonder if two is enough(one main, one background, and one reflector) Also, should I get a softbox? Or umbrella will work just fine?
I am also wondering what kind of lens should I get. I would like to cut down the cost on lens if possible. Also, do I forget anything here (a radio transmitter maybe?)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

You could get away with one and reflectors but I would at least have 2. Soft boxes are the way to go for this type of stuff. You can substitute the Alien Bee accessories. I would just use the pc cord that comes with the lights, its not like you would have people running around the set. Depending on how small you are going, I would recommend a Macro lens, Sigma and Tamron make nice ones and they are easier on your budget. Of a 50mm 1.4 with extension tubes would work. A light meter will be needed. I use sekonic, but the minoltas are really good too. I would buy used on this.

I also don't think radio slaves are totally necescary here if you use a synch cord from one you can get cheap slaves that go off the main light that should save a couple hundred on radio slaves.

while I dont disagree about studio stobes for this application, strobes are significantly pricier than continuos lights, and you cannot see the subtelty of the light. for a fraction investment you could photograph all the aformentioned items including food, with cool lights here is a site that might shed more light on the subject http://alzodigital.com/online_store/alzo_300_tent_kits.htm

A couple of softboxes should do you, you can pick them up cheap with some lights. Also might want to get a light table, you can pick them up cheap on ebay. It gives you that nice white background. for a lens, fast and short. There are several good books on lighting, pick one up the help a ton.

thanks for all the suggestions. I just ordered Allien Bees Digi Kit. with one medium softbox.

Most reactions

Back