A tad bit confused

one last thing to confuse you. when some one refers to "faster glass" that means the lens has a wider aperture usually in the 1.2-2.8 range and is usually a high quality lens and alot more $$. the faster means if you shoot at wide open or 2.8 you can up your shutter speed to compensate for more light. sports photographers can shoot 2.8 at 1000shutter in the day

I find myself being drawn to landscapes, flowers, and wildlife so I think that macro lenses would be my best bet. What do you think? They seem to be the most expensive. Are there any lenses that will yield the same or close to the same results? Once I have grasped the concept of aperture, where should I go from there in my reading?
Unless you want to make images of really small flowers, or nature subjects, you don't need a macro lens.

Plus you have to other options for approaching Macro: Macro diopter filters that screw onto the front of a lens you already have, or extension tubes that go between the camera and a lens you already have.

Just for example, not necessarily a recommendation - an inexpensive set of macro filters; New Vivitar 62mm Close Up Macro Filter Set Wallet Style Carrying Case Individually Maximum Effect

Zeikos ZE-CVAFN Auto Focus Macro Extension Tubes for Nikon

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok thanks. I really think I'm just over analyzing. I'm going to keep reading. Do you use the DOF calculator while you're out shooting or is it something that you just learn with time?

I don't drag my desktop with me, so it stays at home.

I have a very helpful DOF calculator app on my Droid X. :) I'm starting to figuring it all out so I don't need it as much, but it's helpful to refer to sometimes.

KmH said:
Unless you want to make images of really small flowers, or nature subjects, you don't need a macro lens.

Plus you have to other options for approaching Macro: Macro diopter filters that screw onto the front of a lens you already have, or extension tubes that go between the camera and a lens you already have.

Just for example, not necessarily a recommendation - an inexpensive set of macro filters; New Vivitar 62mm Close Up Macro Filter Set Wallet Style Carrying Case Individually Maximum Effect

Zeikos ZE-CVAFN Auto Focus Macro Extension Tubes for Nikon

Thanks again for all of your help. I will check out the links.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back