The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got a great bunch of happy bday on the web today so, in response, I posted this and lots of people liked it so I thought I'd share it here.
A year and a half ago I started to cook - out of necessity; this is a recipe for the only dish I can make and be certain it will be good.

I have diverted slightly from the original as I have found a Lew-proof method.

Lew's Perfect Blueberry Pancakes.

Even though my wife considers Teflon-like surfaces to be a sign that Satan really exists, I keep a good-quality no-stick griddle hidden in my closet that I use: this eliminates the need for vegetable oil on the griddle which imparts an unpleasant taste.

(I set the milks, eggs and butter out to warm while I mix the dry stuff)

I set the griddle to heat on just a touch above medium on a large burner of an electric stove. Drops of water dropped onto the griddle should steam away quickly but not pop into steam; that's too hot, imo.

In advance I wash about 2 dozen or more fresh whole blueberries (not frozen) and set them to dry on a paper towel. (This sounds over-anal but a wet blueberry carries an amazing amount of moisture into the pancake and the mix won't cook well around the wet berry.)

Dry stuff (mixed well)
1 cup of well shaken all-purpose flour.
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon (fresh) baking soda

Wet Stuff
3/4 cup full fat buttermilk
¼ cup milk (keep a bit more on the side if the mix is too thick)

melt 2 tablespoons of salt free butter in a microwave (it should be barely liquid not hot so it doesn't curdle the yolk when mixed in.)
separate one large egg, putting as much of the egg white in with the milks as possible and the yolk in the melted butter.
Whisk both liquids mixes separately and then add them to the dry stuff.
Mix well thoroughly but not compulsively (an ideal mixture should be thick but not sludgy) and let it sit for 2-3 few minutes.

Drop 4 smallish (about 2.5 inches) blobs of batter on the griddle and then put 3-4 dry blueberries in each cake.
When bubbles come through and pop on the top, turn the cakes over and let continue to cook for 30 seconds or so.

These can be eaten bare, with a dusting of confectionary sugar or with a syrup of some kind.
These are so good that my neighbor, who died last night, arose from his bier and came over for some.
These can be made without the blueberries but, imo, that's like a wedding without the honeymoon.

This is a hearty breakfast for two, especially when combined with some protein like bacon.
This is a truly gluttonous breakfast for one - but it can be done.

Oh, crap -- I had no idea. HAPPY B'DAY!

fishing for birthday wishes...ok, I'll bite too. Congratulations on the completion of another orbit on your journey through space and time.

Most reactions

Back