A tip for my fellow Newbie Photogs

robb01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read a tip this weekend that really seems like it will help me further my photography. The tip, "write a description of what your photo is telling you, and what it means to you". I've taken this to heart, and have been blogging about my photos, it seems to really help me think about what I'm photographing and the story behind each photo that I take. Just thought i'd pass this along in hopes that it may help someone else.

Write "Check ISO" on your knuckle above your left thumb. Every time you go to look in the viewfinder, you'll be reminded to check your ISO (especially helpful in event photography).

My most recent description:

"Shown here is the majestic rolling hills of corn against the foreground of a sole towering tree. The sky shown brightly on the corn, making waves of light radiate from each perfectly aligned row. This corn, which will likely feed local cattle and provide nourishment for their bodies; are captured alongside a small shed which stands alone in the middle of this field asking the question, “what lies inside”.

field.jpg

Write "Check ISO" on your knuckle above your left thumb. Every time you go to look in the viewfinder, you'll be reminded to check your ISO (especially helpful in event photography).
I just look at the ISO value displayed in the camera viewfinder, as I routinely check all of the other settings displayed there.

Nikon ships their cameras with a default setting that display shots remaining on the memory card, that can be changed to display the more critical ISO setting instead.

I like the tip in terms of helping you visualize things differently, but I can't help but chuckle when I read your example given. I just mean that things like this often times come off as trying too hard. Atleast to me anyway. I also see the danger of newbies "romanticizing" crappy shots in order to fool themselves into thinking its a great shot, whereas they should be looking for mistakes and correcting them. So I guess it could be a double edged sword.

Also, I will add, that you shouldn't get into the rut of thinking EVERY shot has to have some deep emotional meaning. Some images are impacting simply because of how they are shot. For instance, if I shoot a hummingbird with a 800mm lens and it fills the frame in bright vivid colors and razor sharp detail, thats going to grab a viewer. However, there isn't some deep story or meaning behind it. Its basically "waited for a bird, framed shot, took shot, edited shot, sold shot" not "The brightly lit reflective quality of the hummingbirds feathers sparkled in my eyes, like glistening snowflake on a sunny winter morn. It made my heart flutter, like the wings of that very hummingbird. It was as if god himself were dancing in front of my lens."

I guess I am just a cynic. It is a good tip if you want to learn to be a better writer and tie that to your photography, but I don't really see it making you a better photographer per se. I can see it causing you to maybe take everything in a little more before firing away prematurely. Communicating eloquently in words isn't the same as communicating visually. However, if you feel it helps you, than maybe it will be helpful to others.

Shot to shot, I change aperture and shutter speed much more frequently than ISO. If I go from inside to outside during an event, forgetting to adjust ISO has happened enough times that I think its a good tip. It's not a matter of checking the ISO through the menu, but looking at it in the first place.

I'd have to change it to say, "Remember to check that one thing you forgot this time!" There are so many things to keep in mind, it seems like I start shooting before I'm actually ready. I often seem to have exactly one setting wrong, like my ISO or white balance.

OP, you missed the p in photography in the link for your Photography Website!

Most reactions

Back