A Very Curious Wedding Photo Question ?

swimswithtrout

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Long story short. I'd agreed to shoot my stepsons and future daughter in laws wedding for gratis since they were trying to keep it as simple as they could, but her parents kept ramping the whole affair up. No problem.. until...Last week they got cold feet and called the wedding off. I've never ever even seen, met, or even talked to her parents. All of the info I got was from the kids. Today there was a message on my phone from her parents wanting me to pay for half of the costs of all the reservations, dresses, suits, music,DJ's ,etc that they can't recover, about $1,200.worth which is total BS to begin with. I'm not a "pro" but I have shot many friends weddings before as my wedding "gift". Since they are now trying to cover their loss, I'd counter with the figures that they owe me money from saving them from also having hired a "pro" wedding photog. I've already paid roughly the same amount of dollars for extra strobes, screens,etc.since this was going to be "special" event for me.. What's a ballpark figure for a "semi formal" outdoor wedding and later indoor reception ? Prints and CD's/DVD's ?

Did you have to turn down a booking for that day because you were scheduled to shoot this wedding? If not, I guess I don't see what relevance what a photographer 'might have' cost, since one wasn't booked. In general, for a package like that in my area, 5K plus.

But you didn't have a contract saying what the cancelation fees were. The rest of the vendors probably did. And the reason they have that is because they have to take themselves off the market for whatever day it was scheduled.

As far as whether you should be on the hook for splitting the costs, that's a moral decision you have to make. If you didn't sign the paperwork with the vendors, I don't see how you could legally be obligated to split the bill.

What do the kids think and have they been approached about taking care of this?

tell 'em to **** off.

you wanted to keep it simple (cheap), and they wanted extravagance. were YOU at fault for the wedding cancelation? no? well then i guess it's their problem.

as far as the equipment you purchased...if it's still within the return policy window, problem solved. if not...would it be worth while to hold onto the equipment and improve your skills and options by keeping it?

Is all this coming after the fact? Were you involved in any part of selecting and securing these services and goods? If not, how can they justify coming to you now to share the cost?

How old are the kids? They should be working out all this mess. I can understand if your stepson comes to you for some help with this, but that's between him and you.

Good luck.

-Pete

I think the dang kids should be held responsible for the money they wasted!! ;) Maybe they will take their next engagement a little more seriously if they have to pay for this mistake. I couldn't imagine asking my parents to still fork up the money for something like this. If anything I would ask them to help me pay it now and pay them back.

Talk to your Stepson and work it out.

You owe them money for them getting cold feet? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!:lmao:

I'd tell them to get bent.

Have you reminded them that the father of the bride is supposed to pay for everything? :lol:

Most reactions

Back