A Very Expensive Joke On Us.

The article is originally from CNBC with the headline "Why still terror risk, after all that security money spent?". The MSN headline says "Big security spending hasn't lowered terror risk" - says who??? nobody, just whoever wrote the headline on MSN, for the apparent purpose of making it more of an attention grab.

The article isn't just about the money, although that's part of it - MSN is the one that put it on their Money page.

Mostly the article has interviews with two private investigators, one who runs a company that does 'risk management'. He said his company was involved in helping prevent about 20 potential terror attacks in NYC in the past two years. So that seems to be an indication of some lowering of risks of terror attacks.

But do we read about that? No, because those potential attacks never happened, so there was no news story to report. So we don't always know about every time that security measures did work and that's where at least some of the money goes, into prevention.

Not that there isn't room for improvement. The example in the story was a busy holiday performance where maybe security wasn't as tight because they're trying to get a large crowd into the venue. So for those situations they probably need to look at how to get everyone in securely and in a timely manner.

And President Obama declares that we will do everything to help Belgium bring the ones who did this to justice. Imagine the Nazis have just blitzed London. Now try to imagine Roosevelt saying, "We will do all we can to help bring those pilots to justice." It is hard to win a war when you can't recognize or admit you are in one.

Now I feel like I'm smoking weed .
watch some of the vids of the demonstrations in other countries against the u.s. by some of these people yelling death to america or the mosques preaching about us infidels and ridding the earth of us and you will prolly realize it isn't just a handful of people here more like hundreds of thousands or a million with million other cheering them on that are pacifist but want a islamic state as well. Nothing new though been that way for years just the internet made if viral in the last twenty. The soviets were their hatred in the seventies i think they were prolly burning soviet flags saying death to the soviets then...
Oh,I definitely didn't mean the weed comment that way.
Just that the discussion was getting a little off kilter,and there was some deep thinking that's all.
I'm in Manhattan every single day from December till April,and periodically throughout the rest of the year. I'm well aware that most of the world hates me and I never let my guard down.

I'll take it a step further and venture a guess that a lot of people in my own country think that I'm an arrogant loudmouth because I'm From New York.
That doesn't scare me either.
yeah new yorkers suck but we dont want to suicide bomb you no worries.
And President Obama declares that we will do everything to help Belgium bring the ones who did this to justice. Imagine the Nazis have just blitzed London. Now try to imagine Roosevelt saying, "We will do all we can to help bring those pilots to justice." It is hard to win a war when you can't recognize or admit you are in one.
I THINK we did actually avoid getting into that war at about all costs the u.s. had a isolationists policy then didnt it? Wasn't until it had no choice it became involved. Pearl harbor then suddenly we were in it right?.

The government has a track record of taking on these "crusades" that are well funded with lofty enough goals that don't require solid results. You have people who think that if they throw a big enough budget at something then that should be all the work that needs to be done. Take the "war" on drugs for example.

In the meantime the root issue continues to worsen.

watch some of the vids of the demonstrations in other countries against the u.s. by some of these people yelling death to america or the mosques preaching about us infidels and ridding the earth of us and you will prolly realize it isn't just a handful of people here more like hundreds of thousands or a million with million other cheering them on that are pacifist but want a islamic state as well. Nothing new though been that way for years just the internet made if viral in the last twenty. The soviets were their hatred in the seventies i think they were prolly burning soviet flags saying death to the soviets then...
Just that the discussion was getting a little off kilter,and there was some deep thinking that's all.
I'm in Manhattan every single day from December till April,and periodically throughout the rest of the year. I'm well aware that most of the world hates me and I never let my guard down.

I'll take it a step further and venture a guess that a lot of people in my own country think that I'm an arrogant loudmouth because I'm From New York.
I THINK we did actually avoid getting into that war at about all costs the u.s. had a isolationists policy then didnt it? Wasn't until it had no choice it became involved. Pearl harbor then suddenly we were in it right?.
You are absolutely right. We did everything we could not to even antagonize Hitler, including keeping Marty Glickman and other Jewish runners from competing in the Olympics in Berlin, because they had a good chance of winning, refusing a ship of Jewish refugees and sending them back to their deaths, etc. I was trying to make the distinction between treating these terrorist acts merely as individual criminal acts, rather than as acts of war.

You are absolutely right. We did everything we could not to even antagonize Hitler, including keeping Marty Glickman and other Jewish runners from competing in the Olympics in Berlin, because they had a good chance of winning, refusing a ship of Jewish refugees and sending them back to their deaths, etc. I was trying to make the distinction between treating these terrorist acts merely as individual criminal acts, rather than as acts of war.
i think spain burned them at the stake in the center of the villages in public executions. Granted that was a long time ago. . Just sayn.

JacaRanda said:
The war on drugs "Ughhh Freakin Ughhh"

Hey now--come on man. The war on drugs has worked out great. It has kept the supply of weed, opiates, heroin, cocaine, meth, molly, LSD, etc..etc., stable for many years now (well, stable in the sense that street price increases have been kept below the average annual rate of inflation), and there is plenty of good, nation-wide access to all these drugs, and more. In every town, city, and rural area, the war on drugs has allowed people who want drugs free and fair access to them, at fairly stable price points, so, I cannot possibly see how anybody could diss the war on drugs. It's been a rousing success.

JacaRanda said:
The war on drugs "Ughhh Freakin Ughhh"

Hey now--come on man. The war on drugs has worked out great. It has kept the supply of weed, opiates, heroin, cocaine, meth, molly, LSD, etc..etc., stable for many years now (well, stable in the sense that street price increases have been kept below the average annual rate of inflation), and there is plenty of good, nation-wide access to all these drugs, and more. In every town, city, and rural area, the war on drugs has allowed people who want drugs free and fair access to them, at fairly stable price points, so, I cannot possibly see how anybody could diss the war on drugs. It's been a rousing success.
it has added many jobs to the job market as well think of all the teenagers getting picked up for weed

part of the problem is simple presentation of facts and physical evidence.
we hear that all this money is being spent, but when its not producing something tangible, that we can actually "see", we tend to feel like nothing has been done. its much easier to acknowledge something that has been done as apposed to something that was allegedly prevented.

this is happening a lot right now in the medical field, especially with the community medic program. (which my company has in place at its miami dade/broward branch. over the last few decades, it has been a battle to get insurance companies to pony up money for preventative measures. they dont "see" what they are paying for as much as when someone goes to the ER and gets treated. The idea behind the program is to have less people going to the ER when its not needed. we only started this program in miami 2 years ago so i dont really have any idea on how its actually doing so far, but its been very successful with our parent company over in europe. It must be doing pretty good down in miami because they sent memo's up to our other florida branches trying to steal our CCT medics to go work in miami under the community medic program.

so..in essence, blow up a city and people understand how 2 billion dollars was spent.
prevent a city from blowing up, and people question where their 2 billion dollars went.

we hear that all this money is being spent, but when its not producing something tangible, that we can actually "see", we tend to feel like nothing has been done. its much easier to acknowledge something that has been done as apposed to something that was allegedly prevented.

this is happening a lot right now in the medical field, especially with the community medic program. (which my company has in place at its miami dade/broward branch. over the last few decades, it has been a battle to get insurance companies to pony up money for preventative measures. they dont "see" what they are paying for as much as when someone goes to the ER and gets treated. The idea behind the program is to have less people going to the ER when its not needed. we only started this program in miami 2 years ago so i dont really have any idea on how its actually doing so far, but its been very successful with our parent company over in europe. It must be doing pretty good down in miami because they sent memo's up to our other florida branches trying to steal our CCT medics to go work in miami under the community medic program.

so..in essence, blow up a city and people understand how 2 billion dollars was spent.
prevent a city from blowing up, and people question where their 2 billion dollars went.
Pretty much. Also though money spent inward effects our way of life, freedoms, our ability to freely go about. And means we are on a defensive position. This is america who wants to live like that? Isn't it more our mentality from the countries founding to be free and if necessary more on a offensive position?

Pretty much. Also though money spent inward effects our way of life, freedoms, our ability to freely go about. And means we are on a defensive position. This is america who wants to live like that? Isn't it more our mentality from the countries founding to be free and if necessary more on a offensive position?

dunno.
as Americans we do seem much more willing to pay for something tangible than for an idea, or for preventative measures.
this always seemed strange to me, but I guess its easier to justify a cost for something you can actually hold in your hand.
maybe thats why its easier to spend money with a debit or credit card than actually handing out cash. out of sight, out of mind?
in medicine, the old saying was...."an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", but its much easier to get people to buy the cure than it is to buy something that keeps them from possibly getting sick.
maybe americans are just natural gamblers.

dunno.
as Americans we do seem much more willing to pay for something tangible than for an idea, or for preventative measures.
this always seemed strange to me, but I guess its easier to justify a cost for something you can actually hold in your hand.
maybe thats why its easier to spend money with a debit or credit card than actually handing out cash. out of sight, out of mind?
in medicine, the old saying was...."an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", but its much easier to get people to buy the cure than it is to buy something that keeps them from possibly getting sick.
maybe americans are just natural gamblers.
i often think our main problem with illness might be the different foods we eat now and amount of chemicals in them. Perhaps a cause of rising illness problems?

KmH linked to an article yesterday that suggests that 58% of the foods Americans eat are so-called super-processed foods. stuff that has "industrial food additives", preservatives, and so on. People do not eat nearly enough fiber, or enough vegetables and fruits, or whole grains, nuts, and lean meats, fowl, and fish. Today, many,many people eat quick-prep foods that are of this super-processed variety. TEar open a box, peel back a film of plastic, insert bowl or plastic pan into microwave over, nuke, pull out, eat. Eat a dish full of food filled with sodium, preservatives, and mostly empty calories.

Same with loads of sweet juices, soda drinks, sugary junk food, preservative-laden fast food items, salt- and chemical-coated chips, and so on. YES...we've got many,many people who no longer eat any whole, unprocessed, and "real" food on a regular basis. There is little doubt that poor nutrition and a steady diet of unhealthy foods has caused many health issues: high blood pressure, obesity, Type 2 diabetes, as well as constant inflammation of the digestive tract, leading to a lot of discomfort, poor sleep, acid reflux disease, and so on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back