A VERY noobish question

Alrighty first of all, I take no offense to what you guys are saying. Yes I did take it while in a moving car. But that was just an example. I don't take pictures while moving and think they will be good. I have stopped on the side of the road and took some standing still. I was in a hurry and didn't feel like looking for them in my mess of desktop icons, so I posted that one.

As I said before, with my camera I have a lack of control. It's just a regular digital camera. I know that its not JUST the camera, but I should have been able to get some decent detail in the picture. Not just blah. Even in PS I couldn't get any detail.

I know to think about a photo and I do the same. I take a billion pictures and end up getting only a few that I find work out.

Also, for that picture it may have been the lighting but I go past those mountains all the time and try to take pictures. Even on a day when it was about to snow I took one. I just gave up.

This is a great camera though and I love it to pieces. It has a lot of detail when it wants too but most of the time when I turn the camera on its noisey. I still haven't figured out why, it may be because I dropped it once. But some days its not noisey at all. Sometimes when I turn it off and back on the noise goes away.

Also the pictures are most of the time blurry. Even when I set it on a flat surface and use the timer they still come out blurry.

Also, I'm not confused about anything on my camera. I've had it for a long time. I think its just the lack of options I have. It's mainly a camera for someone that doesn't know alot about photography and cameras and has a lot of "auto" features. There arn't even a lot of programmable features on it.

Ah, I'm trying to explain the hell out of myself for these pictures when it wasn't even the main point of the topic. The point is, this camera doesn't give me what I want in a camera. It's a great camera, but it's not what I want when it comes to my style. I got it for my birthday so I really had no choice in the selection.

I'm not mad or anything I'm just trying to clear this up lol. I appreciate your link though and your advice. And your answers. I can use every bit of information possible. I still have a lot to work on also. I'l be reading that as well as books and other stuff on the subject. I have some really good titles that I saved from photography.

:)

Sony Cybershot S600​

http://www.ces-show.com/2006/review/sony/sony_cybershot_dsc_s600_camera.html

It's funny because half the things it says in this review arn't all that true.​

And it has long battery life???

:biglaugh:

Besides that, most of the time it has very bad noise. And try to go up to 1000 ISO?

I don't even go up that high. It ruins my pictures. But anyways, I think it might have a little more noise than usual because I dropped it once. :(
I've been meaning to take it to Besy buy but I live in Wyoming and the closest best buy is two hours away.

It also records great videos. Well they would be better if I had a memory stick. Right now I'm just using the internal memory. I'm a procrastinator.​

I was thinking about what someone said on another post, and maybe I should just leave it to photoshop. Someone just gave me a ricoh kr-5 super, and I have no idea what to do with all the attachments. So maybe doing some film would give me something to do.

Just to answer a previous point, digital does have a different look to film because of the way sensors work. They capture light in a linear fashion whereas film has an 'inbuilt s-curve'. This is why it is easier to clip your highlights when using digital. This is also why digital can look flat and boring and when taken professionally will be post processed to boost contrast etc.
If your looking for a camera to give you more control and to improve your photography then the Rebel is a fantastic camera, I had one as a back up for a while and there is no reason why you could not take 'professional' looking images from it. Cheers Chris.

bitteraspects said:
good camera. theres usually adjustments in the menu options. all of my cybershots had them

I disagree. It is just a basic point and shoot camera. Going by the specs it does not have aperature or shutter priority! This limits the settings of the camera to the computer program! User has no choice but scene selections. The aperature range is very small as well. This physically limits the types of shots it can take.

A dslr or even a prosumer digital will give you much more options in taking pictures. This one gives you very little choice in changing how the picture is taken. It is basically for someone who just wants to push a button. Thats all its good for. Sorry, not trying to be rude. It's a $200 camera and unfortunately it shows its price in its output.

You don't have to get a Rebel XT. But it would give you the opportunity to at least change settings. And a little creative license to the pictures you are taking. If you want to learn to take better pictures you really should get a new camera. I would not spend another dime on the one you have (no new memory card).

Canon, Nikon, and Pentax all have a good DSLR for a fairly low price. But deppending on how far you want to go in photography they are not a have to have. There are much better point and shoot digitals much better than the one you have now!!

If you have the money and are really interested in the Canon XT. Then get one. And yes it will connect to the computer in the same way as your Sony. Even in full auto mode I would wager the XT will give you better results than the Sony.

Most reactions

Back