A VHS camera with this similar quality?

cameronight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to take some videos for editing and I want it in this quality, with color, it is absolutely PERFECT. The camera is "JVC GR-45E" from 1987, I can get it but there is only two on ebay and they seem to sketchy with descriptions and I will not take the risk. Anyone can suggest me similar quality I can find and purchase online through amazon or ebay?

I am looking to take some videos for editing and I want it in this quality, with color, it is absolutely PERFECT. The camera is "JVC GR-45E" from 1987, I can get it but there is only two on ebay and they seem to sketchy with descriptions and I will not take the risk. Anyone can suggest me similar quality I can find and purchase online through amazon or ebay?

VHS quality from 1987 ?

... do you have a cell phone .?

VHS quality from 1987 ?

No, only a smartphone

VHS quality from 1987 ?

No, only a smartphone

OK, get a current Android or iPhone ......... problem solved
absolutely PERFECT

No I have an Android that's a smartphone, I don't want super clear video, I want a vintage camera

Look for a vintage camera at flea markets, yard sales and thrift shops.

Ebay. Craigslist. Try some analog video forums. Goodwill. Yard sales. Ask your older family members if they have any ancient video cameras collecting dust in the attic.

Part of that footage quality is based on how the video is transferred to the computer. I had a couple decent Sony's in the '80s and '90s and the quality of video depended a lot on the format and settings used when transferred from the tape to the computer. Even had a Kodak camcorder that allowed recording stereo tracks in at a later time back in the late '80s on Hi8. I think my first Sony Hi8 had a serial cable interface, the Digital8 from the late '90s had FireWire and was pretty good at getting video into the computer, the Kodak was a modular system and was ahead of its time.

All those camcorders were Video 8, Hi8 or Digital8; I think JVC was all VHS or VHS-C. Any of these tape formats from before MiniDV should let you get a similar look. The Digital8 Sony would play my older Video 8 and Hi8 tapes, and could record onto these tapes as well, and also let me send those by the FireWire interface to the computer.

So look how your going to transfer from the camcorder to the computer, I would look for one of the pro models from the '80s or '90s. You can get a Composite to USB converter (can use with just about any Camcorder) or a FireWire to USB converter for the models that have FireWire, or for FireWire I would just pick up a FireWire PCI card an stick that in the computer.

The only thing I have from that stuff that still works is the Bogen 3011 tripod and video head.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back