A Virgin in the woods

If it's okay I didn't see if your photos were okay to edit..I edited a little bit of it.

Ah thought I had that filled out. I would prefer if this one in particular was not, so for time being I set it to Not ok, I thought I did that originally. If you could get rid of your edit Id greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all for your words, I was not sure how others would like it.

No problem..Post was edited.

I hate to be the wrench in the system, but you guys myst have fallen off your rockers. This is an underexposed photo of a statue, in the forest. The background is the most interesting part. The statue just gets in the way. And is also crooked and unlevel.

:puts on flame-retardant suit:

:er:
Mark

Everyone has an opinion man so no hard feelings, ultimately its all in the eye of the person who shot the photo/edited it. Many have gotten the "idea" I wanted to portray from this photo so to me thats all that matters. I do agree she is a bit underexposed, but as I said the more and more I played with it the further away I got from the gritty look I was going for.

What program are you using to edit it? JPG or RAW?

You could easily select the background, underexpose it, then select the foreground (Mary) and expose her properly. You could still have the gritty feel w/o it looking like just an ordinary underexposed image.

Image was taken right as it was getting dark, no tripod so it was quite underexposed at the time to be honest. I could go out and take the picture again but to be honest I love it as it sits right now. I do appreciate your guys comments good or bad, only way to learn ;)

I edited the "exposure" in 3 differeant areas...

I took the exposure almost down to nothing for the background, I then edited the "archway" and took out most of its color (it was right when the sun was going down and I had the WB set to shade so it had some orange to it) then the mary, which I upped the exposure a little bit, added some saturation as she was quite faded in terms of the bit of color that is on her. and then tweaked it around till I thought it looked perfect.

She could be a tad bit brighter maybe, but IMO your eye goes right to her as its supposed to, I wanted her to appear lighter but not to bright, I dident want her whites to be glowing, I still wanted it to look dark and gritty but with her shining out over everything else, which IMO she does and thats what I was looking for.

She is not supposed to be overly bright like a subject shot in a studio with proper lighting, she was supposed to stand out amongst the arch behind her and more importantly the woods in the background while still appearing a bit dark and contrasted.

Last edited:
My personal feeling is that Mary is exposed just right... if She were exposed more, it would have been like any other glorified idol; we would also have missed to notice the forest behind which is an essential integral part of this image ....
Regards :D

Most reactions

Back