A Voyage through Ages

C&C per request:

Edit/crop so the sun & the boat are at the intersections of the Rule Of Thirds lines.

I like this minimalist take on this sunset. The amount of open area does create the feel of a long voyage.....nice shot!

I second 480. The composition is awkward. The colors are beautiful!

I think it works just the way it is. The sun and boat being so far apart is exactly what creates the feel of distance in the shot.
480.....show me what you want.....=)

I agree with mishele. Rule of third isn't a checklist for a successful photograph. I quite enjoy it as it is. The fact that the boat is a little above the horizon calms it, I think. If the silhouette was just a smudge against the sea, I would get a more "lost at see" sort of feeling (I think).. N

Very lovely colours, but I think more sea and less sky would, for me, convey the idea of going on a voyage a little more. Also, I've read the books, seen the photos and worn the T-shirt, but I don't personally like really high or very low horizons. Of course, this might say more about where I am with my photography, which is still very much in development, than the relative merits of this photo's composition.

On the whole a very nice photo but I tend to agree that the composition is slightly problematic; though not so much because of the positioning of the sun and boat - for me that's okay.

I like it as is. Eventually I would try to increase brightness slightly, to evidentiate sun reflex on water.

True to its title, a perfect composition. Some times rules are not necessary. The halo around sun: is it natural or an artefact?

Very nice shot! I too feel like ROTs is not needed here.... the expanse helps to convey the title.. a long journey, indeed! :)

I agree with mishele. Rule of third isn't a checklist for a successful photograph. I quite enjoy it as it is. The fact that the boat is a little above the horizon calms it, I think. If the silhouette was just a smudge against the sea, I would get a more "lost at see" sort of feeling (I think).. N

Thank you Compaq :D

Most reactions

Back