A wandering tanker in a sea of fog

Harpper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It was really foggy and hazy when I took this picture but I think it worked for this shot.

boat3.jpg

Niiiiice.... I really like that little bit of sun on the ship, too. Really good composition. :D

Good work!
The mist and lighting really makes the shot.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I appreciate it.

Oh, with a nice photo like this is wish my monitor weren't so bad - softly changing colours always appear like wood carvings on my monitor! :( Too, too bad... I'm sure this one's really, really nice as a print.

I can only guess but would HOPE that it is clear enough to be enlarged?

nice golden haze there, harpper. nice shot. is that the shadow of the ship there or that part of the ship you cropped off? Just curious, i think the crop works well here because it implies the ship is moving into the scene.

what lens are you using?

LaFoto said:
I can only guess but would HOPE that it is clear enough to be enlarged?
Yes it is. It's too bad about your monitor. It could be your settings. Have you tried using a higher monitor resolution? Something like 1024x768. Lower resolutions will make pictures look more pixelated and a little like your wood carving description. It could also be how low you have your bit color (8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, etc) settings at too. Too low of a bit number will probably not display softly changing colors smoothly like a true gradient.

Other than that I don't know what else it could be except maybe just your monitor in general?

vonnagy said:
is that the shadow of the ship there or that part of the ship you cropped off? Just curious, i think the crop works well here because it implies the ship is moving into the scene.

what lens are you using?
That's not the ship's shadow. It's actually the small dock that the ship was connected too. I was trying to fool you guys into thinking the ship was moving, but cropping the dock out entirely didn't look good so I had to leave it in. :wink:

The lense I'm using is a 28-200G ED Nikon lense. It's pretty decent and better than I thought a zoom lense could do. It does get horribly soft and blurry at the end of the zoom, but as long as I stay within the lense's sweet spot then it's not too bad. For closer work I usually prefer my 50mm prime for sharper images.

photobug said:
That's a very nice shot Harpper, very nice indeed.
Thanks Jim. I'm glad you liked it. :D And thanks again to everyone who commented.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back