A Wedding??

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, the guy at the local Ford dealer's service department recently returned from a cruise, during which he proposed to his fiance.

I had to take my truck in for some service, and gave him my e-mail address.

Tony: "You do weddings?"

Steve: "You know, I'm just not that guy."

Tony: "Oh, okay. How about engagements?"

Steve: "Yeah, I guess I could be that guy."

Tony: "Cool. Can we call you? We're going to elope. It's a second marriage for both of us, and we've been living together for four years, so we're just going to do it with us, some witnesses and a pastor; nothing big. We were just hoping to get a few shots in the chapel."

Steve: "Oh, well, I can be that guy, too."

So, the upshot of having the shifting arm on my steering column wear out is that it looks like I'm landing a gig for a low-stress (really) engagement and wedding.

Sometimes things just work out funny...

So, the guy at the local Ford dealer's service department recently returned from a cruise, during which he proposed to his fiance.

Tony: "Cool. Can we call you? We're going to elope. It's a second marriage for both of us, and we've been living together for four years, so we're just going to do it with us, some witnesses and a pastor; nothing big. We were just hoping to get a few shots in the chapel."

So, the upshot of having the shifting arm on my steering column wear out is that it looks like I'm landing a gig for a low-stress (really) engagement and wedding.

Congrats Steve5D - ran into a somewhat similar situation myself a couple of days ago. One of the ladies at work saw some of my pictures for the first time, turns out her daughter is getting married (for the .. 2nd, or 3rd time.. I lose count). She asked me if maybe I'd be interested in shooting the wedding.

Turned her down flatter than a pancake. Told her I knew a guy that was a pro, and a personal friend, and I'd be more than happy to refer her - but as for me, wouldn't touch that with a 3000 ft pole.. lol.

^ I haven't seen this episode of Duck Dynasty.

^ I haven't seen this episode of Duck Dynasty.

Not sure what Duck Dynasty has to do with anything, but thanks...

Told her I knew a guy that was a pro, and a personal friend, and I'd be more than happy to refer her - but as for me, wouldn't touch that with a 3000 ft pole.. lol.

Oh, don't misunderstand. If it was going to be some big production, no, I'm not going near it. But if it's anything remotely similar to what he said it would be, it should be a pretty simple gig...

Told her I knew a guy that was a pro, and a personal friend, and I'd be more than happy to refer her - but as for me, wouldn't touch that with a 3000 ft pole.. lol.

Oh, don't misunderstand. If it was going to be some big production, no, I'm not going near it. But if it's anything remotely similar to what he said it would be, it should be a pretty simple gig...

Well a couple of big differences here, first your a pro. Me, I'm just an amateur wildlife photographer, one that just recently got back into photography so at the moment I'm working with one camera and one lens. I don't even have a flash unit at the moment, wasn't at the top of my priority list considering the kinds of pictures I take. Simple truth is I don't have even half the equipment I'd need to do a job like this one. Ok, sure, I could rent what I need I guess - But I guess if I have one overwhelming skill as a photographer it's in knowing when I'm out of my depth, and frankly a wedding is out of my depth.

Sure, I know enough that I could probably deliver a product they'd be satisfied with - but I doubt I would be happy with it. I know my buddy Chris could give them a much better product than I could, he's got both the equipment and the experience needed for this sort of thing. Me I'm perfectly happy pointing my lens at various critters, that's the sort of photography I find fulfilling. Only way I would ever consider doing a wedding would be under the same conditions I shot my first wedding, eons ago, on 35 mm.

The "pro" they hired was a no show on the wedding day - fortunately back then I had my cameras with me pretty much at all times, in the trunk of the car in a case that would probably have survived a direct hit from a small yield tactical nuke. Well when the guy they hired didn't show I pretty much got roped into it, and since it was either me or nothing I figured I might as well give it a shot. They were very happy with the results, me I knew I probably missed a ton of opportunities since I'd never done a wedding before but as long as they were happy I was happy. I also realized right then and there I was not cut out to be a wedding photographer. Just not my cup of tea, at all.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back