A33 vs. A55

Rather than continue to argue amongst yourselves, what are the major differences with the A33 and A55?

With the a55 you're getting higher image quality, more fps, and better high ISO performance.

That being said, the a33/a35 still offers better IQ and more fps than any other camera below $700.

In my opinion you would get the best bang for the buck going with an a35. (2nd gen a33)

@ Conrad-Not sure the settings, that was my 1st week w/ the camera and in the 10fps mode all the settings are auto.

@tyler- I did misread the post, however... Why would it take a 1/4 sec to gather enough light, yet be able to have a shutter speed conducive to action shooting? The sony evf shows you exactly what the sensor is seeing at a refresh rate of 60Hz, that's 1/60 of a second not 1/4. Those low light conditions it speaks of are not situations in which you would be shooting action shots nor are those "facts" specific to the A55. I frequently shoot band photography in dark nightclubs and have never experienced a problem with the refresh rate, the evf just displays more noise. Tracking can be tricky if you are photographing erratic, fast moving subjects but the fps more then makes up for it. To say an slt is not practical or useful is ridiculous!
The 60D does have a better sensor and high iso performance, but caps at 5fps and can't compete w/ the continuous phase detection auto focus of the A55. When shooting continuous with the A55 the evf shows you an uninterrupted view of your subject, how could that be considered unpractical? Unless you are speaking from experience, take you fanboyism elsewhere.

Last edited:
Omofo, you should be able to look at the properties of the pic file and find the settings.

Nice shots Omofo! What settings those for those pics?

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) 1/2000 second ===> 0.0005 second
Lens F-Number / F-Stop 28/5 ===> ƒ/5.6
Exposure Program action program (high-speed program, fast shutter speed) (6)
ISO Speed Ratings 400
Unknown tag, Tagnum 0x8830 data ===> 2
Unknown tag, Tagnum 0x8832 data ===> 400
EXIF Version 0230
Original Date/Time 2011:05:03 17:55:31
Digitization Date/Time 2011:05:03 17:55:31
Components Configuration 0x01,0x02,0x03,0x00 / YCbCr
Brightness (APEX) 887/100
Brightness 467.88 foot-lambert
Exposure Bias (EV) 0/1 ===> 0
Max Aperture Value (APEX) 40761/8200 ===> 4.97
Max Aperture ƒ/5.6
Metering Mode pattern / multi-segment (5)
Light Source / White Balance unknown (0)
Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length 55/1 mm ===> 55 mm

Back to the original question ...

The SLT-A55 is better than the SLT-A35.
The SLT-A35 is better than the SLT-A33.

There are better camera's for shooting at very high ISO.
Sony (for some unknown reason) decided not to make that a priority. The SLT's are better than their DSLR's, but they are not rated as high as other brands.

There is only one "manual mode" ... M (exposure control).
If you are referring to the camera controls and layout for Manual exposure shooters ... the SLT-A77 is better in design (IMO).
I would prefer two control dials.

Even though I am a Sony user (too much Minolta Maxxum glass investment) ... I will have to say you should really compare/look/review/test other camera's, for the type of shooting you want to do.

Back to the original question ...

The SLT-A55 is better than the SLT-A35.
The SLT-A35 is better than the SLT-A33.

There are better camera's for shooting at very high ISO.
Sony (for some unknown reason) decided not to make that a priority. The SLT's are better than their DSLR's, but they are not rated as high as other brands.

There is only one "manual mode" ... M (exposure control).
If you are referring to the camera controls and layout for Manual exposure shooters ... the SLT-A77 is better in design (IMO).
I would prefer two control dials.

Even though I am a Sony user (too much Minolta Maxxum glass investment) ... I will have to say you should really compare/look/review/test other camera's, for the type of shooting you want to do.

From what I've read this is strictly due to a lack of an optical view finder which is more of a "old habits die hard" kinda thing. Take that out of the equation and their value goes up dramatically.

I think it has more to do with the other related circuitry, and programming.
Their OVF DSLR's were not all that good at high ISO.
Other manufacturer's have used Sony's sensors (ex. Nikon) in their cameras and have achieved better high ISO imaging.

I just figured out that the a35 doesn't come with a flip out screen. :confused: Kinda glad I didn't realize the a35 was even available when I bought my a33.

Rather than continue to argue amongst yourselves, what are the major differences with the A33 and A55?
22?

Did I pass the test?

You know, between 12-07-2011 02:34 PM and 12-08-2011 01:15 PM you could have visited any number of web sites, like Sony . com, that list the specifications/differences for each camera and had all the specs memorized by now. :er:

Most reactions

Back