aaaaaaaa a crack :(

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
aarggghhh I've just noticed a crack on my lens :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:
actually it is not visible on my macro shots (when I reverse the lens) and now I consider if it'll be visible on normal photos :grumpy: but what to do to get rid of it???? I don't wanna have it there :grumpy:

hey there grumpy...is it a crack on the glass? how the heck did you do that?

md

im tired. you know why? because i thought you said crack on your legs....and you can't see it using your macro lens, but you might be able to with your normal lens.. lol

where is it? can you see it at all? like is it on the filter, glass, or is it dust maybe (hopefully)?

so ok.. it's a scratch on the glass... it is on an outside part of it..... no it's not a dust
Photong... it is LENS there's N N N N N N no G :p
MD I dunno how it happened :( some fool was using it... but I wonder who... because only I use it... it is slight but I want to GET RID OF IT!!!! or I'll GO MAD!!!
Meysha... what's the difference between crack and scratch?? those mean the same in my tongue and I have some doubts now :p

hey again grumpy...a crack would be an actual break in the glass, a scratch would just be a surface cut.

if its just a scratch, chances are someone might be able to either buff it out or do something to it to make it less detectable. im not sure if this will have any effect on the quality, but its worth a try seeing as how you cant take your lens off the body.

guess its time for a DSLR now huh?

:):):):)

Alot of times the scratch won't be noticable because it would be under the focal range. Where you get into problems, is things like bright sunlight causing flares at the scratch.

Yup, a crack would be through the entire glass. A scratch is just on the surface. A scratch is less of a problem. If it's small I doubt you'd notice much under most conditions. There may be the odd time when the light catches it just right to give you some annoying funk on your print. Any chance of seeing a shot of the scratch?

I would expect that paying someone to remove the scratch would cost a fair bit of money and I'd personally be worried they'd either damage the lens or reduce the quality of it. I know nothing about any of that though.

Try testing with some pictures. If you can notice the scratch in the final results (I'm sure with many light scratches you just won't) you still have a way out for keeping using the lens without repairing it. You can use it only with small apertures. You mention it is in the outside part of it, so large f-stops won't make use of the part damaged of the lens.
I know this is not a real solution, but you won't need to get rid of the lens or pay a lot of money for having the scratch removed (if this is really possible, in the first place)

*Phew* It's only a scratch. I figured if it was a crack you'd be more than grumpy... you'd be furious!

I use lenses with scratches, bubbles, and other flaws, and it's very rare to see anything in the photos. I don't believe that there is any way to fix it. I'd just keep using this lens, but if it's driving you crazy make sure you put a UV or skylight filter on the new lens. Save the scratched lens for harsh conditions.

What lens is it? Maybe buying a cheap broken one for the front glass may be a cheaper option than replacing the entire lens or even the cost of a repair.

A reapir shop will blacken the screatch so it doesn't refract light causing flares. You can blacken yourself with a new magic marker. After marking the scratch, wipe off the excess with lens tissue, the black will remain in teh scratch. Just don't use any alcohol based cleaners or you'll wash out the blackening.

I own a Pentax 28mm SMC lens with a scratch clear accross the front that I blackened and it doesn't effect my pictures at all.

Matt honey... I'm talking about my lens from Zenith :) it's only the lenst not the whole camera... and yeah.. time for DSLR but I have nobody to donate me :( :p

ok... it is not really visible on prints... ok... it is when I take shots under the direct sunlight, you know... look up and take a shot.. then it is visible :/ but in normal, everyday shots it is not... thank God... so you say scratches are not a big problem then? :) thanks for the replies

it is possible to get it buffed out, although it can be expensive (i know in australia if you scratch your $1000 century optics MK1 fisheye it will cost $600 for buffing to get it out) but if its nto noticeable, pretend its not there:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back