Abandoned Navy Hospital (pic heavy)

Southbound33

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This place sits in the industrial side of town. It was beyond creepy, the white paint is wearing away exposing the red bricks. It looked like bloody smears all over the building

IMG_6675.JPG

The doorway to "nope"

IMG_6649.JPG

I wonder who was sitting here, and why...

IMG_6652.JPG

Another angle

IMG_6646.JPG

IMG_6664.JPG

At least there was some cool artwork

IMG_6677.JPG

I wasn't able to really explore as much as I wanted. There were some really shady people wondering around and it was pretty uncomfortable. I don't think Ill be going back.

oh what a great place to shoot!!!

Looks like a very foreboding place. Any idea how long its been abandoned. It looks like nature is well on its way to taking the place over

Thanks, this building was last used in 96 as a human resources office. Asbestos everywhere, so, probably won't be going back. BUT, there is an old psych ward on this site that Im trying to hunt down. That should be interesting

Awesome! I wish there were places like that around here. All I know of is some abandoned house that has naughty words written on every square inch of wall space. It's bizarre.

Awesome! I wish there were places like that around here. All I know of is some abandoned house that has naughty words written on every square inch of wall space. It's bizarre.

Id like to see that!

Ive only scratched the surface of this place. This is just one building on an entire base. The base was retired in 1996 and mostly abandoned, so Ive got my work cut out for me. This building alone just lends itself for creepy, dramatic photo ops but everything within me is saying "stay the hell away from this place".

Id like to see that!

Ive only scratched the surface of this place. This is just one building on an entire base. The base was retired in 1996 and mostly abandoned, so Ive got my work cut out for me. This building alone just lends itself for creepy, dramatic photo ops but everything within me is saying "stay the hell away from this place".
Profanity Houses of the Rutherfurd Stuyvesant Estate Weird NJ

There's a cool video at the end of the article too. It reminds me of Ray Finkle's room from Ace Ventura, haha. It's super close to my sister in law's house so I'm sure I'll stop by it soon.

Id like to see that!

Profanity Houses of the Rutherfurd Stuyvesant Estate Weird NJ

There's a cool video at the end of the article too. It reminds me of Ray Finkle's room from Ace Ventura, haha. It's super close to my sister in law's house so I'm sure I'll stop by it soon.

That IS bizarre, makes for interesting material just not sure where I would want to share those pics.

BUT, there is an old psych ward on this site that Im trying to hunt down. That should be interesting

Nice Nice Nice

Looking at pic 6 you may have found the door to the loony bin

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter how poorly executed, people always seem interested in abandoned places. This is the problem with subject-oriented photography, and why I avoid it. IMO though, once you've seen one abandoned hospital, you've seen them all. It's extremely difficult to do anything novel with the subject. Not impossible. But difficult.

1) Shadows way too heavy, cropped too tightly
2) Shadows too heavy again, lack of dynamic composition. Plants too tightly cropped, more distracting than actively participating.
3) An intersting idea, though I have to work too hard for it. While I agree that you shouldn't spoon feed people images, I don't feel the chair plays an active roll in the image. I also don't get the impression of "looking out" unless it is explained to me.
4) Under exposed and just "no". The canted angle is too obvious and cliche here.
5) Blurry plants in the foreground bother me. While you might have some philosophical problem with pushing them out of frame (I don't) it nonetheless ruins a good shot.
6) Works (though is a bit of a "brick wall" shot), but is too blue/cyan.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter how poorly executed, people always seem interested in abandoned places. This is the problem with subject-oriented photography, and why I avoid it. IMO though, once you've seen one abandoned hospital, you've seen them all. It's extremely difficult to do anything novel with the subject. Not impossible. But difficult.

1) Shadows way too heavy, cropped too tightly
2) Shadows too heavy again, lack of dynamic composition. Plants too tightly cropped, more distracting than actively participating.
3) An intersting idea, though I have to work too hard for it. While I agree that you shouldn't spoon feed people images, I don't feel the chair plays an active roll in the image. I also don't get the impression of "looking out" unless it is explained to me.
4) Under exposed and just "no". The canted angle is too obvious and cliche here.
5) Blurry plants in the foreground bother me. While you might have some philosophical problem with pushing them out of frame (I don't) it nonetheless ruins a good shot.
6) Works (though is a bit of a "brick wall" shot), but is too blue/cyan.

umm..

Ok I guess I should have said that all these shots were taken in less than 5 minutes, keys in hand, car near by. No time to set up or compose shots. In and out. Reasons: I wasn't supposed to be there. There were homeless people and drug addicts all around, giving me the creeps. The building itself gave me the creeps. There was asbestos and lead paint everywhere. I wasn't going to spend one more second than I needed here. Im all about a good critique but in this case I just wanted to share a cool "find". I guess I should have posted in the "just for fun" thread.

Boy, someone pooped in somebody's cheerios this AM.

Most reactions

Back