Abandoned Shed C&C

NickRummy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First time out with the new camera. My monitor at work is really dark so I'm trying to figure out how to edit it correctly? Histogram showed it being exposed on the dark side but nothing to drastic and I liked the darker look and not having the small portion of the sky showing through the trees not over exposed. It was shot in RAW but photoshop 7.0 got an error opening so I exported to TIFF and edited that file. Please excuse me for all the info. I'm new to shooting like this and trying to get all the help I can get.

I thought the colors and textures were interesting and what I was trying to bring out but at the same time still wanted to show most of the shed. The shed is by a field and a larger building with the same textures but I was trying to make it more interesting by making it appear placed randomly in the woods.

Body - D200
Lens - VR 18-200mm (shot at 18mm)
Iso 100
Shutter - 1/30
F/3.5
-0.3EV / Auto 0 (I'm not following what this means? why is the -0.3EV there when I don't have bracketing setup?)

JNR_0472sm.jpg
JNR_0472_001.jpg

Please feel free to edit it and explain what you do to make it more interesting? The original image showed the whole shed centered left to right and showed more sky but the sky had no detail and looked bland.

Last edited:
Too much photoshop in my opinion something in between those two photos would look best. The -0.2 ev i think means that you took the picture with either the shutter speed not open long enough or the aperture was too high. That is your light meter. If you took it with the right light it would be at 0. what mode were you in?

I agree! It looks too processed...... now that I posted it! lol In between the two would probably look decent.
The only problem with yours i see is that some of the colors were blown.

jenlavazza - that edit looks terrible - sorry but I had to say it (don't hate me though!).

I think the original looks fine, just needs a little exposure brightening from RAW and it would be perfect IMO. Cool picture too.

Iso 100
Shutter - 1/30
F/3.5
-0.3EV / Auto 0 (I'm not following what this means? why is the -0.3EV there when I don't have bracketing setup?)
Check your owner's manual for Exposure Compensation and then change the setting to 0.

Just a little tweek.....

Some people may think totally different...but I just wanted to see the colors pop and brighten it up a bit.

Too me it looks like u just used a preset from topaz adjust.. It doesn't work m8

Hey, ya'll I said I agreed. It was a quick edit and looked different after I posted it. Didn't see anyone else trying to post something...... I deleted it so i'll quit being badgered! :soapbox:

Thanks everyone for the replies! Let me see if I can reply to some of the posts.

what mode were you in?

Manual mode.

I think the original looks fine, just needs a little exposure brightening from RAW and it would be perfect IMO. Cool picture too.

Thanks! I didn't get a chance to check my monitor at home. I can get the RAW file to start to load in Photoshop 7.0 and the menu box opens up with the exposure option but no thumbnail will load and when I hit ok to go into photoshop I get an error opening the file.

Check your owner's manual for Exposure Compensation and then change the setting to 0.

So then I'm assuming that my camera is set to the -0.3EV right now and I just didn't know it?

Hey, ya'll I said I agreed. It was a quick edit and looked different after I posted it. Didn't see anyone else trying to post something...... I deleted it so i'll quit being badgered! :soapbox:
Jen, thanks for your reply with your rendition! Don't take everyone's replies to heart. They're just voicing their opinion which is what this forum is for. I don't think anyone was being rude about it, maybe a bit harsh but not rude :thumbup:

Alright I gave it a shot. I was going to try and meet up between my image and the one Jen did but she erased hers :grumpy::wink: (which I was also hoping she would try to do)

I added the image to the first post next to the original. I edited the raw image in Nikon's ViewNX. Upped the exposure a bit, added a tad of sharpness and then exported to TIFF and played with the curves a tad in photoshop. What do you guys think? This is still on my work monitor which is dark but the histogram was definitely looking better after the adjustment.

Edit looks better than the original...might want to try another one right between the two.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back