Abandoned Shoe factory - Feedback on approach?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Cliche I know but abandoned stuff does make cool photos. Any suggestions?

$exterior1a.jpg
$exteriora.jpg
$sidea.jpg
$windows1a.jpg
$side2a.jpg
$doora.jpg

I really like photo #3. Actually all of them are visually pleasing.
But, IMO, it's too clean, so none of them portray an Abandoned Building. That's the hard part, unless you are able to get inside or the building is falling down.

It's actually for sale, but no one wants to buy it cause it would cost to much to fix up.

thanks for the feedback

I'm not getting much from the first two, but I like the rest very much. I think 4 could be amazing if you framed it a bit better. It seems cut off on the top and sides and it seems like perhaps you were at a slight angle to the wall.
The B&W (#5) of the windows is better I think than the color version. #6 is tough - the windows on the top don't work for me. Maybe getting in closer with a wide angle? Not sure. Maybe get tight with the door and work out an abstract.

Really like #6 Those are just beautiful doors. I'm a retired builder, and It amazes me the thoughtful decor or these older places. thanks Ed

I like the first two, with the ice. That's definitely something different.

Generally the building just doesn't have much of anything to hold my attention, #4 ought to have something but good god we've seen this sort of thing so many times I just can't bear another one, you know?

#5 ought to be a piece of crap, I haven't the foggiest idea why I like it at all, but for me it's the pick of the litter. I think maybe the white sky and white snow and the utter strictness of the pattern make this somehow the picture we always *imagine* when we try to shoot this thing (and we all do, don't we? We just cannot leave the damn receding warehouse walls alone, and they're always disappointing) and somehow you've nailed that essence that everyone always misses so completely.

Thanks guys.

Andy-

yeah I hated myself for taking #4 but I had too, just like not turning to watch a car wreck.

the ice was exceptionally reflective which was a nice surprise.

thatnks for the high praise on #5. I am super happy that it came out so well. I really tried to get the section of sky and snow to be similar in shape and size.

Great set of images.

Colin

Dude, it's been too friggen cold to shoot outside lately...wtf? lol.

I want to hit downtown tomorrow when my WA comes in but damn it's cold. And I'm from the south originally. lol

I don't mind braving the cold when we have snowstorms since it's fun and new...but lately it's just been bitterly cold and no snow.

so um yeah, nothing else to add...just thought I'd troll a bit. Get your ass to Bangor so we can go shoot chit.

It's actually for sale, but no one wants to buy it cause it would cost to much to fix up.

thanks for the feedback

well there is your way in the building and a free helper ..call the seller/agent offer to take some great photos of the site for them to help sale it..you take what yeah want and give them a few wide shots WIN WIN

Last edited:
Wow brought back from the dead! Thanks for all the kind words!

pally, I am super hardcore, the cold doesn't get in the way of the art!!!

I have taken photos of the inside but they were for work so I cannot share.

Is this Dover-Foxcroft Maine. Nice photographs.

Nope a bit further south. Maine used to have quite a number of shoe factories back in the day.

Most reactions

Back