about canon flashes

dmj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to by a flash for my Canon 60 D and I also have a 20 D. I will use this for fill flash and some indoor family pictures. Would you give me some advice on the three different canon flashes. I have heard the 580EX II is heavy.
Thanks for any help you can give me

Welcome to the forum.

The 580EX is the biggest one, but I wouldn't really call it heavy. It will certainly make your wallet lighter though. :lol:

The 580EX is the top model. Plenty of power, nice controls, can act as a wireless master...all around very good but expensive.
The 430EX has a decent amount of power, the controls aren't a easy to use, can only be a wireless slave. Has a more moderate price.
There is also the 320 EX, which is fairly new....I don't know much about it. Less power but only about $50 less than the 430EX. This one has a built-in light that could be used for video...not sure how well it works.
The 270EX is the smallest one. It does have a tilting head for bounce, but it doesn't rotate. I personally wouldn't recommend this one.

There are also several '3rd party' flashes that will be compatible with your cameras.
Camera Flashes

I don't think it's any heavier than my cheap manual flashes... at least not noticeably so. For your on-camera use, I'd certainly recommend a 580EXII. Or check out the 430EXII, it's also a very capable unit that would fit your needs.

For note, your 60d can be wireless master for any of the Canon flashes you listed, I probably wouldn't use that as deciding factor between 430 and 580.

I'd recommend either the 430 or the 580. I use both regularly and they are very good flashes, certainly capable of doing whatever you need them to do.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time out to help me.

DMJ

I ordered a 320EX before I saw a review on YouTube about it. I'll be returning it and getting a 430EXII - discovered that it uses the same psycho-strobe focus assist that the on-camera flash does (no IR light), and that the LED 'video light' is fairly feeble to boot.

JM

I picked up the 320EX on boxing day because I didn't have a dedicated flash and I wish I would have done more research first. Sure it was affordable and I knew nothing about flash when I bought it so it has helped me learn a what to look for in a flash but I wish I would have gotten something with manual settings on it. The only what to really use this flash is with TTL and using flash compensation on the camera itself.

Save yourself some buyers remorse and at least get the 430ex or one of the various manual flashes available on the market. You'll have more control over the light you are using.

Save your money and get the 580EXII. It is a wonderful flash with plenty of power. I use mine in high mag macro and have never had a problem with a lack of power.

I have the 320EX and I have buyers remorse...

When I finally decode I need mine ill be starting with the 430. It doesn't matter to me that the 580 has more power as eventually I plan on the 580 with a couple 430s as slaves anyways. So all good.

Most reactions

Back