? about Canon Xsi and circular polarizer

HeavyD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon Xsi with the kit lens ( 18-55 IS ) and (55-250 IS) which I use occassionally. I have ran across some arcticles about the Canon kit lens not being user friendly for a circular polarizer. I recently took a trip to Hawaii and have now found out that a circular polarizer would of taken away reflections from my pics. Dont get my wrong, the Xsi takes awesome pics, compared to what I had, and have no complaints.

Should I consider a different lens that would be more user friendly for a polarizer, before purchasing one for the kit lens? I am considering a better lens but didnt want to drop the $$ on one just yet. What lens would anyone suggest? I tend to take alot of landscape / people shots. By no means am I an expert, just someone who enjoys taking pics and love my Canon. I know a good polarizing lens with a lens coating cost $80-$120.

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

Not 100% on the Canon lenses, as I have a Nikon D40, but the kit lens that came with it isn't optimal for a polarizer for a simple reason; the threaded mount spins as the camera focuses! So if you arrange your polarizer and then focus, it spins the filter.

This is not the case on my 55-200mm AF-S lens. The focus has a separate ring, and the threaded mount is static as far as rotation goes no matter the zoom range or focus.

If this is the case with the Canon, don't dispair. Just make sure the polarizer is properly set before you click the shutter.

The issue with both of those lenses are that the focus rings rotate and the filter is on the focus ring. You need to readjust the cir pol filter to your liking after it is focused which is a pain (I'm in the same boat).

The only way around this is like you said get a new lens (or be aware of this before taking the picture). More expensive Canon lenses have fixed rings, but I'll let others chime in on where that cost point is.

Yeah, what you'll want to look for is a lens that does NOT have a rotating front element.
That should be listed somewhere in the specs or features when you're lens shopping.
(B&H usually lists it under the features tab.)

Ehh... you get used to it. I've gotten some CPL shots that were a little piece of terrific with the kit lens and others where the outer ring rotates. Focus, then adjust the filter. Boom. I'm going to stop now because I think I'm channeling John Madden.

I thought I had read those articles correct :(. What lens would one suggest say in the $500-$750 range that would be a step up from the kit lens, and have the front that doesnt rotate?

Thanks again

I thought I had read those articles correct :(. What lens would one suggest say in the $500-$750 range that would be a step up from the kit lens, and have the front that doesnt rotate?

Thanks again

There are a few good ones in that range... you could get both the 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8 for that. (Or pretty close anyway - not sure how much prices have gone up in the last few years...)

My first choice to replace your kit lens would be the Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX lens. $600. Tokina makes very tough lenses. This lens is a constant aperature f/2.8 so its quite a bit faster than your current lens. Also it has internal focusing so filters will not be affected by focusing.

Tokina | 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X 165 PRO DX Autofocus | ATX165PRODXC

Second choice would be a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di-II VC lens. It has the added feature of Vibration reduction. It also happens to have internal focusing. Unfortunately Canon version not quite out yeat. But pricing is set at $650. Not sure how long the wait will be (reason this lens is #2 choice).

Tamron | SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD | AFB005C700 | B&H

Third choice would be the current version of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di-II. It does not have the VC -vibration control. But it is still a quality lens. It has the lowest price of the 3. $200 less than the newer version at $450.

Tamron | 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Lens for Can | AF016C700

I put the Tokina first because of their build quality. They have the same feel and finish as the top of the line Nikon and Canon lenses. If they are actually built better I can't say. But I own 2 of their lenses and am happy with both of them.

Tamron has a fairly long warranty. So, they back up their product fairly well.

Thanks again

Get yourself the Canon 28-135 lens.....

It's a good usable range, lightweight, and just a notch under their professional L series lenses......

While the 28-135 is a step up from the kit lens you are using, and the front element does not rotate which will help with using a CPL, I consider this lens more than just a notch under the L lenses. Again, better than the kit, but not pro glass. Would still be a decent option for a hobbyist who just likes taking pictures.

However, the wide end is 28mm. On a crop camera, such as the XSI, thats 45mm. I find that is very long to be used for a landscape lens.

Personal opinion - using my XSI, I tend to gravitate around an actual setting of 12mm-18mm for most of my landscape / cityscape stuff (20 to 30 full frame equivalent)

Which is why I love my Canon 10-22mm lens for this type of photography.

If you want just one lens to do landscapes and people portraits, there are a few options such as the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS or even the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS. Both have IS, however the 17-55 is a constant 2.8 which makes it a much better low light and bokeh lens than the 17-85.

The 17-85 gives a better focal range, while staying somewhat wide enough for landscape work.

Most reactions

Back