About Natural light photography. So I got to wondering about things. Exposure

Oh boy......here's Gipson.

images

It appears that you may be referring to the small white markings on the twig that the little bud/nodes are growing from, that may appear to be blown out coming down the stem.
Those are not blown highlights, but rather, the natural coloration of the stem itself, as it DOES have these white markings along its length.

As to the exposure, it looks pretty darn good to me. So good in fact, that it has gone challenged to some small degree, in gentlemanly fashion, that the image was captured using flash.
In short there were those who couldn't tell the difference.
As well as those who were told the difference but still doubted it. Until data was shown.

See what I'm steppin in?

Actually, it's more of the brightness from the water dew. It looks almost a direct harsh flash, which is not a good thing.

It appears that you may be referring to the small white markings on the twig that the little bud/nodes are growing from, that may appear to be blown out coming down the stem.
Those are not blown highlights, but rather, the natural coloration of the stem itself, as it DOES have these white markings along its length.

As to the exposure, it looks pretty darn good to me. So good in fact, that it has gone challenged to some small degree, in gentlemanly fashion, that the image was captured using flash.
In short there were those who couldn't tell the difference.
As well as those who were told the difference but still doubted it. Until data was shown.

See what I'm steppin in?

Actually, it's more of the brightness from the water dew. It looks almost a direct harsh flash, which is not a good thing.

Ok , I see where this is going.
You over expose an image, say you didn't, then say you meant to.
Now mine is over exposed. lol
ok, I got it.

high 5
lol

Waving the white flag! Next time I'll dry it off with a towel first.
haha

ok, I got it.

high 5
lol

haha

Your image doesn't appear to be over exposed, but more like direct harsh flash.

ok, I got it.

high 5
lol

haha

Your image doesn't appear to be over exposed, but more like direct harsh flash.

I am officially closing this thread.
CLOSED.

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted the bolded part. Or were you over-stretching?

Well, no.
It IS Blatantly false. You do NOT have to have a flash for EVERYTHING you do with a camera.
Who the hell is advocating that you have to flash everything? That's as ridiculous a position as saying you should never use flash.

The reason I take umbrage with your $h!t-stirring of a thread is because when you make a comment such as............

Interesting concept.
I don't know if it gets any more diffused than cloudy/overcast and raining.
Maybe stick a softbox over the end of the lens? lol
........... you most likey are not advanced enough to understand the concept of lighting and probably (hopefully) you googled VI's comment to find out what a scrim was. But yet you want to thump your chest and stomp your feet about natural lighting. Using natural or ambient lighting is fine but you should still be versed in how to shape it and manipulate it for a more polished image. Understanding basic lighting fundamentals is what will separate a begining shooter to a more advanced photographer.

Why would you ever think to place a softbox over the end of the lens? Could you please link your resouce for this setup? I highly doubt you will except possibly under an extreme or experimental technique. This will make one wonder.

CLOSED.
I believe that authority is above your pay grade. That's why "Reply to Thread" is still an option.

I am kundalini and approve this message.

Why would you ever think to place a softbox over the end of the lens? Could you please link your resouce for this setup? I highly doubt you will except possibly under an extreme or experimental technique. This will make one wonder.

He made a sarcastic comment to divert the attention.

LightSpeed-

I think the contention with that other thread is the instant FB photographer claiming to be a "natural light" photographer is not because they've mastered natural light but because they haven't learned how to add flash (or maybe they're afraid to?). That is why forum members chime in with posts telling them to learn how to use flash. It's not that flash is the end all be all but in most cases of the new natural light photographer, flash would've greatly benefitted the quality of the image.

With regards to the semantics of no such thing as artificial light, I think in today's definition, natural light means sun/ daylight. If someone says, "I'm a natural light photographer" we all know what they mean. If that ruins the purity of the definition, I'll bow out and leave the arguments for others.

Since we're all sharing images...In the below image I shot, I call this available light. Meaning, I did not use any intentional triggered strobe but the light source was through a huge window along with the hard wired lighting overhead.

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted the bolded part. Or were you over-stretching?

Well, no.
It IS Blatantly false. You do NOT have to have a flash for EVERYTHING you do with a camera.
Who the hell is advocating that you have to flash everything? That's as ridiculous a position as saying you should never use flash.

The reason I take umbrage with your $h!t-stirring of a thread is because when you make a comment such as............

Interesting concept.
I don't know if it gets any more diffused than cloudy/overcast and raining.
Maybe stick a softbox over the end of the lens? lol
........... you most likey are not advanced enough to understand the concept of lighting and probably (hopefully) you googled VI's comment to find out what a scrim was. But yet you want to thump your chest and stomp your feet about natural lighting. Using natural or ambient lighting is fine but you should still be versed in how to shape it and manipulate it for a more polished image. Understanding basic lighting fundamentals is what will separate a begining shooter to a more advanced photographer.

CLOSED.
I believe that authority is above your pay grade. That's why "Reply to Thread" is still an option.

I am kundalini and approve this message.

Oh boy,,,
Man some of you guys are so uptight you couldn't drive a finishing nail up your ass.
The softbox comment was a sarcastic remark in jest.
You think I don't know what a scrim is? Really?
It's not like I go out in the field with assistants to hold scrims. Do you? Maybe you do. Maybe you're a pro.
Who knows.
You really let me have it , didn't you?
Here's the thing. If you take umbrage , perhaps you should just ignore me, like I'm about to do to you. Eh?
You see, you been bucking for it with me for a while now. The only person I see stomping their feet and thumping their ......if you call that a chest, is you , sir.
Now, you're on ignore. Why are you on ignore? Well, because you're kind of a boring stick in the mud.
Now if you'll excuse me.
It's time for my mirror break.

P.S. Officially closing the thread was something that came off another thread where..........nevermind. I thought you saw it but maybe not.
Vtec I didn't do anything to divert attention.

LightSpeed-

I think the contention with that other thread is the instant FB photographer claiming to be a "natural light" photographer is not because they've mastered natural light but because they haven't learned how to add flash (or maybe they're afraid to?). That is why forum members chime in with posts telling them to learn how to use flash. It's not that flash is the end all be all but in most cases of the new natural light photographer, flash would've greatly benefitted the quality of the image.

With regards to the semantics of no such thing as artificial light, I think in today's definition, natural light means sun/ daylight. If someone says, "I'm a natural light photographer" we all know what they mean. If that ruins the purity of the definition, I'll bow out and leave the arguments for others.

Since we're all sharing images...In the below image I shot, I call this available light. Meaning, I did not use any intentional triggered strobe but the light source was through a huge window along with the hard wired lighting overhead.

http://www.tewphotography.com/Portf...29431_s5nxgV#!i=1712279572&k=M7TbpGD&lb=1&s=A

I know Tee.
Thanks. That's a nice image. Well done.
Some of these cats just think their better than they are.
That's why you so frequently see all their works published monthly in national geographic.
Of course I speak of a select few.
Me, I just like getting a nice image now and then.
I'm in it for the fun factor at the moment. Course I'd be lying if I said, I don't want to excel in photography.
I do kinda have a passion for it.

Oh hey, I have an assistant to hold my reflectors and I'm not even a pro! lol

This is from my previous shoot. It was too windy to use umbrellas and soft boxes so I went without them. I decided to go all natural in this one, using available light and 1 reflector.
6879893111_baf36f1bb8_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back