? about TLRs

BAK61

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
considering a TLR....should i go toy with Blackbird Fly, pick up an older TLR on E-Bay, or buy the newer Lubitel from Lomography....never shot a TLR before.....thanks for the help....assume cost is not the factor in the final decision...

I would buy a "real" TwinLens ... not a plastic toy camera.

You can get TLR's cheaper than a new Blackbird.

I have a Yashicamat that I picked up for $35.00 (though that was about 15 years ago).

What you really want is a Rolleiflex.

The Blackbird Fly and the new Lubitel are ridiculously expensive for what they are. If you want low-fi there are plenty of TLRs and pseudo-TLRs out there for $20. $50 gets you a user Yashicamat. What Lomography charges for a Lubitel puts you in Rollicord range. 2x Lubitel $ gets you a Rollieflex and more camera than you will be able to exploit in your photographic lifetime. Here's a shot from my low-fi Graflex 22. You could buy one for about $20. The price difference between that and a new new Lubitel will keep your darkroom supplied for 2 years:

img007a640x.jpg

If cost is not an issue, I'd go with a Mamiya C33 which has interchangeable lenses and viewfinders. The only downside of it's pro-quality all-metal build is how heavy it is.

Mamiya-C33-01.jpg

If you just want a quality, lightweight tlr for a good price, look no further then a yashica mat:

yashica-mat-124-g.jpg

I briefly considered a Blackbird Fly... After I realized that they were 35mm, plastic, and $200+ - I changed my mind. I would pay $50ish for one, but I'm not dropping more than $200 on a toy camera...

Most reactions

Back