About to buy my first DSLR (A Canon EOS 30D) but got some Q's...

JMowery

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, let me get straight to the point. I have been using my sisters SLR for awhile, an old KM camera, but I want to move into the digital photography scene for myself and purchase my first camera. I am willing to pay for the goods and I have a budget of around $1,500 - $1,600.

So here are the questions:

1. Should I buy the camera online from a website like Ebay? I know the Camera's aren't any cheaper, but they do have a lot of kits up there. For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-30D-Digital-SLR-USA-Camera-2LENS-4GB-PKG-NEW_W0QQitemZ7628157608QQcategoryZ43454QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-30D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-1GB-Kit-NEW-USA_W0QQitemZ7626427235QQcategoryZ43454QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just curious if it is wise to do that.

2. Insuring / Protecting my camera. I live with my parents *I'm 19 btw*, so homeowners insurance addons are not an option. So what are options for protecting my camera. I am naturally a clumsy person, BUT, I have yet to ever drop and/or break anything of real value to me, so I know I will be careful with the Camera. But if it's on a tripod, and I have a kid come around and knock it down or anything like that, I need to have that protection against anything like that.

3. Lenses.... Here we go, I need a lens to take sports photography with. I'd say "cheap" recommendations. But how about something for good value. What do you believe is a good lens for that. I also want another lens for taking photo's for scenery and of people. I don't really want to spend money on expensive lenses just yet because I know I can upgrade later, I just want to learn with a few cheap but acceptable lenses, hopefully I could get a few good pics to post on this forum. Or is there a single lens I could buy that could handle both sports photography, scenery and portraits?

4. Accessories.....
Is the battery grip needed?

What is the best brand/type of memory card available for a EOS 30D? I'd prefer 1 gig or more to take pictures with highest quality.

Also, what about a tripod, any suggestions of any great tripods and where I can buy them. I'm roughly 74" tall, so the taller the better.

I think that will do for right this moment. Sorry I sorta rushed all these questions, probably could have presented them better, but it's getting late.

Appreciate all replies in advance.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The first ebay add is full of cheap junk. Not quality accessories. The second is from a reputable store and is not a bad deal. But not a really good deal. It is for camera only and a memory card. Does include the factory warranty.

I checked pricegrabber and I can get the 30d and kit lens no memory card delivered to my house for $1414 from B&H. A very reputable store. You can then add a card for about $80. So for $1,500 you can get a camera, lens, and card delivered from a reputable store.

As for lens start with the kit lens (18-55mm). It is not a super quality lens but will be good for now. For the price its a good value. As for sports is it for indoor, or outdoor in low light? Also really deppends on your budget for lenses. I bought their least expensive 70-300 lens and its not bad. Takes nice snap shots. But definately has it limits. You can get buy with these two lenses. But obviously there are much better lenses available.

The grip is not necessary.

I have been buying Elite Pro cards by Kingston technology lately and have yet to have a problem with them (6) cards now.

You can get some good tripod information at B&H, or Adorama web sites. They give the tech specs which include their heights, max recommended weights and the like.

Thank you for the reply Ben. I had been considering purchasing from B&H.

RitzCamera.com offers the camera as well for slightly more expensive, but their warranty says it covers accidental damage, but when you read the fine print, it says it doesn't. So I'm just confused because I want to protect my investment into a nice camera.

I haven't been able to find anything really good for protecting my camera though....

JMowery said:
Thank you for the reply Ben. I had been considering purchasing from B&H.

RitzCamera.com offers the camera as well for slightly more expensive, but their warranty says it covers accidental damage, but when you read the fine print, it says it doesn't. So I'm just confused because I want to protect my investment into a nice camera.

I haven't been able to find anything really good for protecting my camera though....

The manufacturer warranty will only give you a year. If you feel the need you can buy an extended Mack warranty.

I would suggest B&H since they have such a good reputation. I just started going to Adorama as they seem to have less of the NY store attitude. Their prices are similar and are just as reputable. I have never had a problem with B&H, but when I have called the people on the other end are pretty short. Neither one uses the bait and switch routing most cheap places have. You can't go wrong with either store.

I would stay away from the cheap stores. As you may not get a camera with manufacturers warranty or with included accessories missing from the box.

As for accidental I am not sure the Mack would cover it. But I just added all my camera equipment on my renters insurance. It includes accidental damage but does have a deductable.

Good lenses for sports shooting can be pricey, for field sports (football, soccer, baseball) 100-400mm zoom would be a nice size, on the court (basketball, tennis, hockey) 30-70mm and 70-200mm, have you given any thought to the digital Rebel XT it cheaper and that would leave you more dollars for other lenses, also if you want to get other lenses and stay with in your budget, you will need to look at ones for Sigma, Tamron or Tokina. Another reason to look at D-Rebel XT is that it is big investment, and if it photography turnout be a passing fad, you will have only put out haft the money and camera will good for years of family snapshots

I take a lot of baseball and skiing photo with a 70-200mm it’s little short for shots of the outfielders and across the lake

Sports, I was thinking mainly tennis, basketball, and maybe a few other sports later on.

The reason I wanted to get the EOS 30D is I just like the way it feels in my hands. I had a bit of time with the Rebel and EOS and I definately like the EOS 30D. I can go above my budget in due time, I just didn't want to buy the Rebel and in a few months go and buy the EOS 30D anyways, which is what I'd do.

I also didn't want to drop a lot of money on new lenses because although I have loved photography for a long time (I got it from my father who loved photography as well, he recently passed away) and I just wanted to get into it as well. I've been into 3D CGI, but wanted to move into real photography. I'd go get the Mark II if I really wanted to take it to the next level, but since I haven't had experience with DSLR I'd just go with the 30D and work my way up, and I see that the 30D is better for what I want to do compared to the 5D.

I won't be doing any sports photography for awhile though anyways since it is summer and will be busy traveling.

I'm mainly interested in the near term for taking photos of scenery and landscape and all that.

So between Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, and Canon lenses, which offer the best quality and value?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back