About to get my first DSLR for a 3-year trip. need your advice!

tsabary

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey, i'm new here and to photography in general. i've always been atracted to this art but finaly started doing something about it a few weeks ago.

as i said, i'm about to leave in a month or so to a 3-year trip (hopefuly, unless i'll end up in a "locked up abroad" episode). i'll probably see all kinds of views to shoot, including vegas, new york (and some other places in the states), south america, europe and asia (india, nepal, thailand, kazakhstan, uzbekistan, kyrgyzstan, tajikistan and turkemanistan).

so i want to have a good camera to work with. but on the other hand, i don't have an unlimited budget, because this trip is gonna COST.

so what do you guys sujest getting? i guess up to a 1000$ (should be enough right?).. for now i'm enter-level, but i'm reading alot and i'll get much experience while traveling.

some recommendation please? anyone?

KmH gave you a pretty good pair of suggestions, in my opinion.

thanks i appreciate it i'll check those out

Before I chime in, how will you be storing the images? Charging the batteries? What kind of climate will you be in? Generally, stuff?

There's more to this than just buying a camera for that kind of trip. Can you actually use a DSLR? Not to be mean here but there is a whole other world involved and it involves post processing, will you be able to accomplish that?

i'll probably get a few memory cards so i'll have more space, but besides there are alot of places along the way that i plan on staying with people i know (and some couchsurfing i plan on doing) so i would use their computer to upload my images to some online storage (DropBox or something like that). charging the battaries doesn't really seem like a problem, i guess everywhere i stay i'll have a socket to use.

about the post proccesing, i'll do what i can whenever i can. if i won't be at reach for some editing software (what would probably be most of the time) then i won't edit them. those photos would be taken for personal use so i can edit them whenever i want, maybe even only when i get back.

and i didn't really quite understood the question of can i actually use a DSLR. do you mean if i know how to use it? if so, then the answer is yes. i've been practicing my fathers d5000 for the past few weeks. i have alot more to learn about composition and of course some of the technical, but i feel like i'm getting the hang of it. i'm reading alot and i'll get alot of experience along the way.

i don't think you asking those questions is beeing mean, i'm sure i'll have some problems along the way, but what is the other option? not taking a camera?

btw, what do you think about getting a used body? would that be a smart decision to save some money, or a used body usually comes with alot of problems?

thanks again for the feedback.

Have a look at the pentax k30 twin weather sealed kit. It has 2 lenses 18-55 and 55-200 which are weather resistant. It has a good spec and image stabilization built into the body which is good to have as it means all your lenses effectively benefit. Add to that a 50mm or maybe 55mm fast prime and you have a respectable relatively low cost kit.

i'll probably get a few memory cards so i'll have more space, but besides there are alot of places along the way that i plan on staying with people i know (and some couchsurfing i plan on doing) so i would use their computer to upload my images to some online storage (DropBox or something like that). charging the battaries doesn't really seem like a problem, i guess everywhere i stay i'll have a socket to use.

about the post proccesing, i'll do what i can whenever i can. if i won't be at reach for some editing software (what would probably be most of the time) then i won't edit them. those photos would be taken for personal use so i can edit them whenever i want, maybe even only when i get back.

and i didn't really quite understood the question of can i actually use a DSLR. do you mean if i know how to use it? if so, then the answer is yes. i've been practicing my fathers d5000 for the past few weeks. i have alot more to learn about composition and of course some of the technical, but i feel like i'm getting the hang of it. i'm reading alot and i'll get alot of experience along the way.

i don't think you asking those questions is beeing mean, i'm sure i'll have some problems along the way, but what is the other option? not taking a camera?

btw, what do you think about getting a used body? would that be a smart decision to save some money, or a used body usually comes with alot of problems?

thanks again for the feedback.

I was thinking a new D90 with the 18-105mm with the rest of the money spent on batteries, tripod, good case, etc...

Nikon D90 DSLR Camera Kit with 18-105mm DX VR Lens 25448

Have a look at the pentax k30 twin weather sealed kit. It has 2 lenses 18-55 and 55-200 which are weather resistant. It has a good spec and image stabilization built into the body which is good to have as it means all your lenses effectively benefit. Add to that a 50mm or maybe 55mm fast prime and you have a respectable relatively low cost kit.

^--- This is also a great option but does not appear to be available in the US.

my father just told me i could take the two lenses he got with his kit (18mm-55mm and 55mm-200mm).

i guess those two lenses should be enough right? and then i could buy only the body.. maybe the d90 or the d5200 like you guys suggested, maybe even a used one to save money. what do you say?

i'm not sure what i'm looking for when compering those nikon bodies. i don't got my technical side figured out yet to the point i know exactly what would be the difference. does the price difference between those bodies is justified?

my father just told me i could take the two lenses he got with his d5000 kit (18mm-55mm and 55mm-200mm).

i guess those two lenses should be enough right? and then i could buy only the body.. maybe the d90 or the d5200 like you guys suggested, maybe even a used one to save money. what do you say?

i'm not sure what i'm looking for when compering those nikon bodies. i don't got my technical side figured out yet to the point i know exactly what would be the difference. does the price difference between those bodies is justified?

those are my last questions i'll be glad if you guys could give your opinion

Sure, those lenses will work fine outside. Inside you will need to use flash.
They are both inexpensive kit lenses.

Used or refurbished is definitely a way to save some money. Used usually means no warranty since Nikon's warranty only applies to the original owner. Factory refurbished Nikons come with a 90 day warranty.

Because you are going to be traveling for 3 years space is going to be a big issue. You may want to consider looking into a micro 4/3's camera. They still have interchangeable lenses but your total size and weight is going to be a lot less.

Because you are going to be traveling for 3 years space is going to be a big issue. You may want to consider looking into a micro 4/3's camera. They still have interchangeable lenses but your total size and weight is going to be a lot less.

i looked MFT and they're not that cheap, so i'll think i'll just get a nikon body to fit with the lenses i got.

besides, i guess you can get much better resaults with a DSLR compering to MFT, right? (i'm asking, i just heard about MFT for the first time). if so, then i'll stick with the DSLR. it's probably the longest trip i'll ever have, so i want to have the best photos i can get (and have all the options regarding photography so when i'm done i'll have everything handeled)

Most reactions

Back