About to jump in!

IonSpeedMaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So my interest in photography has rekindled lately and there couldnt be a better time. Everything is beginning or in the middle of blossoming and Im looking for a new hobby. I have little to no photo experience, but Im pretty confident that this can become a serious interest of mine if I can catch on. I like to run, bike, golf, and im interested in cars; these will be the kids of locations (trails and golf links) and objects (cars) that I want to focus on shooting. Im shooting with a throwback sony cybershot now (SHOOT ME) and im right on the edge of getting a Canon 6.0 Powershot D3IS. From what I hear its good for the price you pay, its one of the better/best point and shoots out there if you dont want to fork over double the cost for an SLR. Id like to feel welcome here and to get some opinions on this camera. The reason im asking here is because i basically dont trust the "canned" reviews that are all over the retailing sites. Thanks in advance
Andy

I can't help with your specific camera question [I'm centered in b&w film and older cameras], but I can offer a warm 'Welcome!'

Welcome! I would also look at www.dpreview.com - I trust the reviews there (which are very in depth.) If you are looking for the S3IS, there is a review there for it - I think they rated it pretty highly.

I also recommend going to a store (even a Best Buy) and just trying the camera out - look for how it feels in your hand, how it feels taking a picture, things like that.

I know you're looking at point and shoots, but a DSLR might be an option, too. The S3IS is around $300, but a basic Pentax DSLR can be had for $500. The Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D40 start at around $550 - and offer quite a bit more in terms of ability, expandability (if your hobby grows into an addiction), and such. It may be worth the extra $200-250 for all the things a DSLR offers.

Or, it might not - if you prefer simplicity, light weight, etc., then a P&S may be better, although at the expense of photo quality, expandability, and shooting options. And if you get an S3IS now, and then later get a DSLR, the S3IS will still make a great backup camera - so while I'd generally recommend a DSLR, you really can't go wrong either way.

I have a friend who picked up the Pentax last year - he couldn't be happier with it. Not so sure about your exact Canon model, but I do know that Canon makes some of the best P&S cameras out there, and that's what I recommend to people as well!

everybody has been a good help. ive heard mostly good about the Canon and I think im sticking with it. and like the above person said, itll make a good backup if/when i move to a DSLR. I cant wait to get out and start shooting

I have had a chance to play around with the S3IS, and have found it to be a very nice camera. The functions a very easy to understand and use. The picture quality is good, and the overall performance of the camera is excellent. To truely get a good feel of the camera yourself, I would have to agree with (theotherbob), and go try one out. http://www.porters.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back