About to pull the trigger on a 30D, Lens questions...

Carnifex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, i'm about to get a new 30D but i hear the 18-55 lens it comes with is not that great. I'm thinking about getting the body only and buying a good lens to go with it. After dropping a G on the camera, my lens budget will be less than $500 and i'd like to get a good all around lens to have some fun with for a few months before i get another.

I really want the canon 70-200 f4L or the 70-200 f2.8 but that will have to wait for later when i can get some more $$$. I'v heard good things about the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5. It has a good wide angle which i like and it is also a pretty good macro lens, especially coupled with a set of kenko tubes.

Basically i need some recomendations on a good walk around lens that wont break the bank to start off with. As soon as i narow down my lens choice i'm gonna pull the trigger on the camera, so help me out! Thanks guys :wink:

Hello, welcome on the forum.

I think you understand that choosing between Canon 70-200 f/2.8 and Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 is not only a question of $...

I like the 17-70 as it is a quite versatile lens, with good quality for the money, like to take it for travels.

You can get and idea of what you can get with this body and this lens here or look for another body/lens set here.

Most reactions

Back