About to purchase Canon 7D ...

rCOSIO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rcosiophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I will be selling my Canon T1i and two kit lens's with grip this weekend, and will be purchasing a 7D this weekend. Although, I have been hearing reviews that my images will come out poor if I shoot my 7D with non-L lens's ... how true is this?

I plan to shoot with the Canon 7D with the 28-135 kit and a 50 1.8 for two months than purchase a 24-70 2.8 ....

How bad are these images going to come out with the kit lens? Should I be stressing this or not?

Bad? No (well that depends on the photographer). The 7D, however, is very demanding when it comes to glass and I would recommend putting on the best you can afford. I find a big difference between my 30D and 7D in that respect. It does fine with my 50mm f/1.8.

icassell ... thanks for the input! I guess i will force myself to shoot more with the 50m 1.8 for the next two months. Excited to put a 24-70 2.8 lens on there in a couple of months and see the results ...

I would shoot with any of your lenses. You may find yourself adjusting for them and becoming a better photographer.

I have the 7D and will admit that the images are better with better glass, but there are times the other lenses will be fine. Do not limit yourself due to what has been said, go out shoot, practice and experiment. You may be pleasantly surprised.;)

P.S.
What type of photography are you shooting?

Thanks guys ... anything you guys really love about the 7D? Way worth the extra bit of money than a 50D right guys?

I never owned a 50D, although I hear it is a very good camera.

I, like you owned the T1i. I purchased the 7D. I am very happy with it, there will be a learning curve. I will let you know when my learning curve is over :mrgreen:.

I think one of my favorite items with the 7D is the customization that is possible. I am still experimenting with different settings, until I find what I am comfortable with.

I put a Canon 10-22 on it last week.......WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the 7D and will admit that the images are better with better glass,

Isn't that the same for all cameras? Shot a 75-300 on a T1i and then shoot a 70-200 2.8 IS L and there will be a difference. :)

I have no issues with my 7D and a Canon 10-22, 50 1.8, 70-300 IS, 70-200 2.8 IS and a Tamron 28-75. You'r images will not be crap or garbage if you shoot with a 28-135 or other low / mid range lens. It depends on what you are using them for, the type of photography you do. Vacation shots, regular cityscapes and landscapes and so on? You'll be fine until you upgrade

What do I love about the 7D? I'm loving the wireless flash control, the ergonomics, the AF system. I don't like its size and the 18mp sensor. Its a good sensor, but I'd just prefer less mp.

Is it better than then 50D? Can't say. Never owned a 50D, but did shoot with one a few times. Its a damn nice camera and if I owned a 50D not sure I'd upgrade to a 7D. But coming from an XSI, I went with the 7D.

It is more demanding on the lenses and has alot more functions and bells and whistles...but like anything else, take one at a time.

Well said BigTwinky ... just want to make sure im getting the right camera with that price range ... thx

Being concerned with the 28-135, maybe you should skip it and shoot with the 50 for the couple months. That would get you even $200 dollars closer to the 24-70, which would be overlapping FLs anyhow. Youd obviously be sacrificing reach, but maybe thats not that important to you since youre first L would be a 24-70... Also there would be cheap options such as the 55-250 ( which I have and could test on my 7d for you ) that you could try out later on for around the price of that sacrificed kit lens that offer a different range in FL.

Consider the 17-40F4L. It is a very nice lens. Cheaper and if you plan to shoot indoors in tighter areas you will like the ability to get a little wider. I use my 17-40 way more than the standard zoom. Now if I had a 5DII it would be a different story. My 2 cents.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I owned a 50D and now a 7D. I started out with the kit like you and I have a couple of 35mm film-era lenses, an EF 20-35mm f3.5-4.5 and a EF 70-210mm f4.0 push/pull with a macro. Both Canon.

The shots come out ok, but not great. They don't pop. They're not much good in low light, and I shoot motorsports both indoors and at night. When I got the 70-200 f2.8 L II the 7D turned into a whole other beast!

The main reason I switched to the 7D from the 50D is the HD video. The 50D has no video. It does have a semi-auto "sports" mode, which the 7D lacks. Thankfully. It forced me to learn more about real photography instead of just framing and timing.

My entire professional career (and I mean professional as in I get paid, not that I'm very good) was done with a Sony DSC H5. Not much more than a point and shoot. But it has great Zeiss glass and aside from the half second of shutter lag and 2 seconds per frame, it provided me with some great shots. I haven't been able to duplicate them with either the 50D or the 7D until I put the L on it.

Thanks guys ... anything you guys really love about the 7D? Way worth the extra bit of money than a 50D right guys?

The 2 biggest things I noticed when upgrading from a 30D to the 7D, were the massive increase in resolution, and video mode.

Its insane how detailed video is if you use good glass and a tripod. It simply blows our $1200 HD Sony camcorder out of the water quality-wise.

The video mode can be a little tricky though, as you need to manual focus. It is better suited to non-action type shooting.

I would go as far to say that the 7D is the finest crop DSLR ever made. I am very pleased with it, and its better than my 30D (which I loved) in every way.

**Gets ready for incoming wave of angry Nikon fans** :lol:

Consider the 17-40F4L. It is a very nice lens. Cheaper and if you plan to shoot indoors in tighter areas you will like the ability to get a little wider. I use my 17-40 way more than the standard zoom. Now if I had a 5DII it would be a different story. My 2 cents.

17-40 huh ... i love shooting night photography walking around town for fun, but would really like to get into portratis and eventually weddings's and 15th bdays .... not sure if this would be great for that as well?

Thanks for the info tho, it is much cheaper in price

So I will be selling my Canon T1i and two kit lens's with grip this weekend, and will be purchasing a 7D this weekend. Although, I have been hearing reviews that my images will come out poor if I shoot my 7D with non-L lens's ... how true is this?

I plan to shoot with the Canon 7D with the 28-135 kit and a 50 1.8 for two months than purchase a 24-70 2.8 ....

How bad are these images going to come out with the kit lens? Should I be stressing this or not?

The 7D is capable of very sharp images but simply needs the very best lenses to take advantage of all of its capabilities. It will still be an excellent camera, and you can add nice lenses gradually, so I think you are headed in the right direction.

Most reactions

Back