About to Try LR Again; Need Advice

I have not done this with my photos and Light room, but i have set up a home network for all my movies music and pictures, so any computer im at in the house has access to them. So i assume you can host the pictures on Laptop or desktop whatever you use more, share the folder then map it as a network drive on the remote computer and tell Light room to use that for the drive location.

I haven't done this part yet cause i don't have a need for it, But you can set up a VPN so when you are not at home you can still gain access to the network drive from internet connection.

But using the home network option would be easier i think that swapping External drives around depending on where you work. You can easily upgrade the storage space in the desktop and go from there.

Sorry if this is not helpfull at all my light room experience is very very limited i usually use photoshop.

I have not done this with my photos and Light room, but i have set up a home network for all my movies music and pictures, so any computer im at in the house has access to them. So i assume you can host the pictures on Laptop or desktop whatever you use more, share the folder then map it as a network drive on the remote computer and tell Light room to use that for the drive location.

I haven't done this part yet cause i don't have a need for it, But you can set up a VPN so when you are not at home you can still gain access to the network drive from internet connection.

But using the home network option would be easier i think that swapping External drives around depending on where you work. You can easily upgrade the storage space in the desktop and go from there.

Sorry if this is not helpfull at all my light room experience is very very limited i usually use photoshop.

You cannot have a LR4 library on a networked drive.

Adobe does not allow you to do with LR4 because of compatibility issues, and due to risk of network failures.

I tried this course of action at first, was unsuccessful, so went on to using a USB drive.

Adobe does not allow you to do with LR4 because of compatibility issues, and due to risk of network failures.

I tried this course of action at first, was unsuccessful, so went on to using a USB drive.

My LR4 library is stored on a network drive and I have zero issues.

I think you can store it on a network drive...but it's not meant for multiple users accessing a single catalog file.

I think you can store it on a network drive...but it's not meant for multiple users accessing a single catalog file.

Multiple "users" cannot access the catalog at the same time. However, I store all of my files along with the library file on an external drive when traveling. I can edit and work with my files in LR on the external drive and then import them into me network drive via my desktop into my main library.

It may only be macs then ? I could not get it to work no matter how hard i tried, then i googled it, and it said you couldn't store a LR library file, and the folders it relates to on a networked drive.

You say you store it on a networked drive, but can you access it from multiple computers ? (not at the same time)

From the FAQ's on Adobes site

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html
Can I store my catalog on a network?

No. There are too many variables in a network configuration to guarantee that the catalog won't get corrupted.

It may only be macs then ? I could not get it to work no matter how hard i tried, then i googled it, and it said you couldn't store a LR library file, and the folders it relates to on a networked drive.

You say you store it on a networked drive, but can you access it from multiple computers ? (not at the same time)

Catalog FAQ | Lightroom

No. There are too many variables in a network configuration to guarantee that the catalog won't get corrupted.

That would be akin to Microsoft stating that .pst (Outlook archive files, which are essentially database files) are not be stored on network drives, though most every major company does it, some even require it.
There can be issues accessing any data via a network and data corruption is always a possibility when moving data. However, with a sound backup plan, there is no real risk.

Catalog FAQ | Lightroom

That would be akin to Microsoft stating that .pst (Outlook archive files, which are essentially database files) are not be stored on network drives, though most every major company does it, some even require it.
There can be issues accessing any data via a network and data corruption is always a possibility when moving data. However, with a sound backup plan, there is no real risk.

I just created a LR4 library on my iMac, added a few photos, and tried to access it via the network. It is greyed out, and I cannot open the library.

The iMac harddrive is shared to anyone connected to my network.

I don't think you can share a LR4 library over a network.

You must be working some kind of magic.

Can anyone else running OSX try this and see if it works for them ? It would make my life so much easier if it did work haha.

I just created a LR4 library on my iMac, added a few photos, and tried to access it via the network. It is greyed out, and I cannot open the library.

The iMac harddrive is shared to anyone connected to my network.

I don't think you can share a LR4 library over a network.

You must be working some kind of magic.

Can anyone else running OSX try this and see if it works for them ? It would make my life so much easier if it did work haha.

Don't know what to say. I have done it for quite so time.
Do you have you network drive mapped? To a drive letter? Or are you providing a path? When I configure my library, I simple change the default location to my mapped drive location. Done deal. Works every time.
Also, are you set up on a domain? That could present an issue.

I have my lightroom lcat file saved on my C:\ on my desktop
I have all of my pictures original location on my D:\Photogrpahy
I can access the pictures with my Laptop and import them into my LR. My laptop has it's own Lcat file.
What ever pictures I edit on my laptop, are only saved on my laptop. And what ever I edit is only saved on my Desktop. So to answer you question.. yes you can copy your files where ever you want, and yes you can work on them. But if you ever need to go back and look at your settings, you will need to do it from the source LR you used.

As for training.
I downloaded this whole course and have only got through about 1/2 of it. It's AWSOME!!!
Lightroom 4 Complete Video Training with Hal Schmitt

Thank you all for the responses and thoughts; that helps me at least feel better about the fact that I *can* make it work on both computers!

All the networking, mapping discussion just kinda hurt my head though. :lmao: Unless my son wants to come for a visit and take me through it, I don't think there will be any networked, mapped drives in my immediate future. Besides--would that make it so that I could use the laptop on vacation and access the same files as were on the desktop at home?
No, never mind, don't answer that--it'll just make my head hurt more. :lol:

A lot of good advice and suggestions here, and when the software comes, I'll pore back through it, check out the DVD and figure it all out. In the meantime, I'll probably just use Bridge and PS on the laptop while I'm on vacation, and then figure this all out when I get back home.

sm4him on a PC mapping a net worked drive is easy.

Right click on the root folder, Go to sharing and share the folder.

then on the other computer as long as you have the same user name and password and are in the same workgroup it will work. If you want to try let me know what version of windows you have and ill send some screen shots on setting it up.

And for the people with mac.

Just for fun, I shared my picture folder on my PC media server, then after some handy google work (im new with Mac OS i only run it on my laptop) i figured out how to turn on sharing on the mac and get it to see windows drives. I then set the drive in the log in preferences to re connect at startup when available, and when i opened light room i can import from the shared drive. Im not sure where i can change the folder for light room to save things that are imported, but i have found places to change folder location and i was able to change them. My media server is running Windows 7 Ultimate, and my mac is running OSX 10.8.3

So i do think this will work with Mac OS.

sm4him on a PC mapping a net worked drive is easy.

Right click on the root folder, Go to sharing and share the folder.

then on the other computer as long as you have the same user name and password and are in the same workgroup it will work. If you want to try let me know what version of windows you have and ill send some screen shots on setting it up.

And for the people with mac.

Just for fun, I shared my picture folder on my PC media server, then after some handy google work (im new with Mac OS i only run it on my laptop) i figured out how to turn on sharing on the mac and get it to see windows drives. I then set the drive in the log in preferences to re connect at startup when available, and when i opened light room i can import from the shared drive. Im not sure where i can change the folder for light room to save things that are imported, but i have found places to change folder location and i was able to change them. My media server is running Windows 7 Ultimate, and my mac is running OSX 10.8.3

So i do think this will work with Mac OS.

Yeah, but I don't even think the laptop and desktop are networked together, so there's no way to share folders between them, is there? Actually, I *know* they aren't networked together, because my tech-savvy son hasn't been home since I bought this desktop.

If you have internet on both from the same modem they are networked, just not set up for sharing.

Most people at home have a all in one router modem, that how the laptops with wireless connect to the internet. The desktop is probably pluged into said modem.

So if you have windows vista or windows 7 the networking part making them talk is actually fairly easy.

If you go to Windows Explorer and right click on your folder with pictures in it. there is a option called sharing or advanced sharing if you click on sharing it will ask if you want to share the folder and you just say yes. It will turn sharing on, if its grayed ot you may need to go to Control Panel and turn on network sharing. But like i said at some point in time over the weekend i can take some screen shots on my PC and send them to you as a step by step.

Most reactions

Back