1. Hot Smoke
HotStuffD300b12-3-10Smoke2_0053copy.jpg

2. The Whirlypool
TheWhirlpoolD300b12-3-10Smoke2_0068.jpg

3. Shrimply Smoke
ShrimplySmokeD300b12-3-10Smoke2_0053copy2.jpg

4. The Rose
TheRoseD300b12-3-10Smoke2_0054.jpg

Nice Images.... but why in #2 does it look like their is a person holding something in the lower right hand corner?

The last one is the fav for me :3, i agree on the nice patters and the colors..
well done

Very complex and interesting patterns - some of these could be cropped in different places to produce several different images where a portion of the smoke trail fills the frame.

Nice Images.... but why in #2 does it look like their is a person holding something in the lower right hand corner?
Thanks.

In #2, the lower right hand corner is technically black (R-0, G-0, B-0) so I guess you're seeing things that aren't there.

#2 is cool (not that the others aren't - that's just my favorite, lol).

I need to do some more of these...

I've always done the coloring in PP before, but I think I'm going to do it by gelling the flash next time.

Very complex and interesting patterns - some of these could be cropped in different places to produce several different images where a portion of the smoke trail fills the frame.
Yep. These 3 are crops as it is. (2 are the same image, just edited differently)

So far, there is no antispating what the smoke is going to do, because the set is dark.

Very cool Keith! Could you give noobs like me an idea on how to do that? Lens & light setup and general technique? I'd love to give that a try!! Sounds like fun!
Awesome shots, simple but so nice!:D

Very cool Keith! Could you give noobs like me an idea on how to do that? Lens & light setup and general technique? I'd love to give that a try!! Sounds like fun!
Awesome shots, simple but so nice!:D
Very basic and crappy drawing, but this is basically all you have to do:

5242095778_df8c669131_o.jpg

Get the flash off camera, and aimed anywhere but where the camera is pointing, set up something that's going to make some smoke in front of the camera, fire away.

Very basic and crappy drawing, but this is basically all you have to do:

5242095778_df8c669131_o.jpg

Get the flash off camera, and aimed anywhere but where the camera is pointing, set up something that's going to make some smoke in front of the camera, fire away.

Thanks Josh! One more question then!:D The colors come from gel on the flash? If I have no gel, I can do like you said and do it in PP. But in the case of #3, how did he get multiple colors? Multiple flashes with different gels? Or a lot of PP?

Thanks a lot!!

I've always done it bare flash, color in PP - but you can do the same with gels.

You do have a little bit of an edge in PP though, since you can do gradients. (Which kick ass for this kind of thing.)

As far as how Keith did #3, I'd like to know too, lol!

BTW - I don't know what lens Keith used, but personally - I've found that my 100mm macro works best.
(I have the non-L version - I just put the red line on the drawing for laughs. ;) )

BTW - I don't know what lens Keith used, but personally - I've found that my 100mm macro works best.
(I have the non-L version - I just put the red line on the drawing for laughs. ;) )

Thanks Josh!! With your answers, I'll be able to give it a try in a near future. I don't have my off camera cable yet for my speedlight, but I'll try something out with my underwater strobes. My monsters should provide more than enough light!:D

Sure you manage great things without an L-version anyway!
Now lets wait on Keith to tell us his secrets on #3;)

Most reactions

Back