Abstract flower attempt

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was playing with some closeup (on my 50mm 1.4) rings at work on a smoke break and decided to try to get an abstract-ish flower guts shot. Here's what I came out with.

7647619546_9bee589e78_c.jpg

Not that *I've* gotten to be any kind of expert on the subject, but In MY complete mediocre-photographic-talent opinion, there is a very delicate balance when trying to achieve these kind of macro floral shots.

I like this, but you've got a little too much in focus for it to work as the dreamy, ethereal look (and also a little too much of that very bold background color), but not nearly enough in focus for it to work as a macro focused on the pistil of the flower. IF I were doing it as the sharp macro version, I'd also want to get the center of the flower, showing the whole pistil...or looking straight on at the anthers (the fuzzy little tips).

From this angle, I just have an urge to scroll down and see the flower's center. :D

I love the colors though! I don't think it'll take you long to produce some really nice images with this, especially once you get that D90. ;)

Uh-oh! Ermie's going Macro! :) I like. . . wish a little bit more was in focus.

Me too, but I've never used those rings before, the guy who teaches macro class was in today and we were talking and he sparked my macro fever. I'm gonna borrow a rail tomorrow and see what I can do in my little in house studio where I now have excellent lighting, and no wind...it was very windy today, lol.

Not that *I've* gotten to be any kind of expert on the subject, but In MY complete mediocre-photographic-talent opinion, there is a very delicate balance when trying to achieve these kind of macro floral shots.

I like this, but you've got a little too much in focus for it to work as the dreamy, ethereal look (and also a little too much of that very bold background color), but not nearly enough in focus for it to work as a macro focused on the pistil of the flower. IF I were doing it as the sharp macro version, I'd also want to get the center of the flower, showing the whole pistil...or looking straight on at the anthers (the fuzzy little tips).

From this angle, I just have an urge to scroll down and see the flower's center. :D

I love the colors though! I don't think it'll take you long to produce some really nice images with this, especially once you get that D90. ;)

Since I was using the close up rings, I was doubtful I'd get a real in-focus shot. Once I saw that on the LCD I thought about blurring out the little bits that are in focus to make is all washed out/dreamy ish.

Just screwing around seeing what those rings do since I don't have a macro lens.

Boss is gonna look in the "dungeon" and see, she thinks she may have an old Nikon macro for me to play with so, yeah,...when the D90 gets here, I'll be playin macro a bit. I wanna find something cool though...so I'm not sure what I wanna practice on.

She wants me to learn the macro set ups, the rails, and all that jazz so I can better sell it. So um yeah...I'm all about learning new stuff. lol.

I also get to have a quick learn lesson on film, so soon I'll have film stuff to show. She is going to hook me up with what she calls a good Pentax camera setup so I can learn film. Said she's tired of hearing me tell customers "I'm a digital guy, I don't know anything about film". LOL. we still have a lot of film shooters bringing in their rolls to develop.

anyway..this was just a quick play thing, so I'll be reading and visiting the macro threads here soon.

Uh-oh! Ermie's going Macro!.........

Let's start a club. We can have weekly meetings, serve cake & ice cream, have jackets made up.......

We were debating/discussing macro in the sense of full on overall sharpness and detail vs. very sharp detail with blur. Like on a dragonfly or a slug for example. His take, on the slug, was that the head was in great focus and detail but the body blurred, instead of getting it all in focus. Basis was that he doesn't want a national geo science sort of shot, but a realistic shot as if you were down there on it's level up close looking at the slug...your eye would not focus on it all, but rather the head.

What's you macro peoples thoughts on that sort of thing?

Let's start a club. We can have weekly meetings, serve cake & ice cream, have jackets made up.......

Ice cream? I'm in. lol.

When I first came to this site, macro was on my list as top priority. It has since moved to the bottom. However, I am now almost set up with things I need to shoot people and landscapes, so macro is now back up on top of my list. however it will take me a month or so to recover from recent purchases...so it will be a while till I can play. Unless the boss finds that lens... :)

Ice cream? I'm in. lol.

When I first came to this site, macro was on my list as top priority. It has since moved to the bottom. However, I am now almost set up with things I need to shoot people and landscapes, so macro is now back up on top of my list. however it will take me a month or so to recover from recent purchases...so it will be a while till I can play. Unless the boss finds that lens... :)

Just be careful. Macro is seriously addictive!!

Most reactions

Back