Accesories for beginners!

GimpyPoop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yo,
K, just running this by you more seasoned photographers to make sure I am not going overboard (since I tend to do that with every other thing in my life).
For my first ever camera (the Canon G5), I will purchase a lens adaptor, UV/haze filter, camera bag (well duh), 256 MB compactflash, and MAYBE a tripod (though I know the decent ones are quite expensive), and a photography book.
Am I a moroff for wanting to buy only Canon brand items? Um . . . any suggestions of brands I should stick to with regards to the above items I am desiring?
What else do you think I would find useful???
Ha ha, what a vague inquiry!
Thanks in advance.
Me, the Flea

why dont u get a canvas bag ... i carry all my stuff in a bike messenger bag :) ... so does the hubby, and he carrys a lot of lens

Yo,
Like a plain ole canvas bag? And your stuff doesn't get banged around?
I'm kind of . . . how do you say, clumsy. ;)
I've been looking at ebay and online camera stores . . . so many choices, argh!
Thanks for the suggestion!
Me, the Flea

I'd stay away from leather... doesn't weather as well as water resistant canvas. It also weights more...

Tripod should be your first investment... I recommended starting with the 3001N manfrotto legs in a different thread but I did not realize you had a canon G5 at the time I posted. You might be able to save a few more bucks and pounds by going with a lighter tripod. Manfrotto makes a Digital Tripod line that is cheaper ( 714B tripod with ball head is $95 at bhphoto ). Unfortunately, I cannot comment on that line as I've never seen one first hand. For more details and specs on bogen/manfrotto, check out bogenphoto.com. Model numbers, Max load, max height, weight, etc.. are all listed on their website.

Yo,
My boyfriend ended up buying me a Delsey bag (no leather, yay!). I checked out some Lowepro bags afterwards, but I must say I really like my bag. :)
I really really want the Manfrotto and Bogen 3001N after reading all the raving reviews. Incidentally I put the 714B on my Amazon wishlist just because it is my second choice. :) I do want the 3001 purely because I want this tripod to last a long time and have the ability to support any future heavier cameras I may purchase. I need to go and feel out the actual tripods before I make this purchase I really can't afford anyway (ha ha).
Thanks so much for the help ya'll!
Me, the Flea

you might want an external flash with that, because that barrel adapter blocks out the bottem right hand part of the flash on the camera, and it will be very noticable on all your flash pictures.

So the mistake I made, before I started to shoot seriously, I went out and decided, with the help of forums like this one, what I WILL need. Bought a lot of stuff I then sold on Ebay, for a loss, of course, and after I knew what I REALY wanted after actual photography expereince I bought totaly different stuff i.e lenses, bags, accessories and so on. Only thing I did not change was the camera body and one 50mm lens.

So my advice, just use your G5 put it in your pocket or backpack, less chance of it getting ripped off then carrying it in a Lowpro bag advertising.. expensive camera in here....take pictures for a few months then you will now what you really need.
:D

Yo,
joseph, thanks for the advice. I get a little crazy when I get new things. Got to have all of the accessories like a moron!
Anyway, I was kind of thinking that a camera bag was basically advertisement for a thefting, but the thing is, I do want my camera to be perfectly protected from me (I'm clumsy).
I am going to hold off from any more purchases until I get a better feel for the camera!

No matter how we carry our cameras, every serious photo hobbiest is already advertizing to the world about their camera.... When they see the tripod in our hands.

this camera theft thing, i dont know ... i often walk with my camera around my neck with a long lens (it looks like a monster) even in the most seedy areas ... i've had no problem :lol:

when u guys say "theft" do u mean someone taking it from you? ... or laying it down somewhere? ... cause to be honest with u, i challenge the fool to take my camera from around my neck :lol: ... he's gonna have to take my neck with him :?

i dont think that we should not have the things we want because of crime ... crime will not die .... dont let thugs and criminals control u. i say go for it, get what u want 8)

cameras dont have a hight value on the street

Yo,
I was speaking more along the lines of someone stealing it from one's car. It happened very recently to a friend of mine. He had it in a camera bag and everything and the jackass took off with his camera among other things.
Ha ha, funny thing is that this acquaintance (I use that very loosely) of mine accepted a camera in lieu of money for um . . . drug money. I forgot the model, but it was a Canon and he was told it was worth a lot more than it actually was. Ha ha.
Me, the FLea

I carry my gear in a camera bag that fit into a back pack, so no one sees the camera bag with the logo. I travel a lot with my gear, theft occurrs on trains buses from cars when you leave stuff on the ground when you check in at airports etc. Actually this is more common outside of the USA.

Most reactions

Back