Accessories for canon 60d

jayla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
"]So im new to this whole era in DSLR. My first camera was a Canon T70 when i too photography in high scho and printed in black and white in the darkroom. Its been years since i picked up an slr and i feel so brand new.

Im glad i found this app. I just put in my order through canons buy direct website and purchased the following:

(everything refurbished with 90day canon warranty)

Canon 60d
Canon Ef 18-135 mm lens
Canon 70-100 mm lens
canon Speedlite 270ex flash

$1100 out the door including tax and free shipping

Im so very exited with my new purchase and going to be able to tap into my old hobby.

Its been so long and everything i learned i forgot. So im starting all over again and need your help!!!

Did i pick the right lenses,camera,flash? I chose what i did based on affordability.

Anything you would reccommend is a must have starting out? Any filters? Accessories??

Whats your rhoughts on Canon refurbished.

Any input is appreciated. Looking forward to responses!!

Im getting a Canon 60d and looking at lenses now, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.
I have many of the same questions as jayla, also looking at Canon refurbished.

A 70-100 lens? I suspect your fingers meant to type 70-300...or possibly 70-200 f4.0L or f2.8L for some bigger money...

With the pair of lenses and a flash, you're going to need a bag to carry them in when not in use. There's a number of camera bags/cases out there well suited for a camera with lens mounted and an extra lens or two (or a flash). Check out the Lowepro brand of camera bags. but....WARNING...WARNING...photography can be very addictive, especially new lens disease...So you might want to get something a little bigger than what your present needs are.

As far as other accessories...it's probably too soon to think about things like a tripod, circular polarizing filter, etc. Don't waste your money on any UV or 'protection' filters. They needlessly reduce the image quality the lenses and your camera can produce.

But...you're definitely going to need some post processing capability on your computer. There's a number of good FREE photo editing programs available on the web in addition to whatever Canon put on the CD that comes with the camera. They are a good starting point for learning what you can and can't do in the digital version of a darkroom. You'll need some 'horsepower' on your computer for photo editing as well...something in the range of 2 or 4 processor 3.0 ghz or better, 4 gig RAM and 500 GB (or more) of hard disk is a good starting point. Note, too, that laptop screens give lousy color accuracy.

Last edited:
Thanks bratkinson, I didnt know a UV is a no-no ...
I havent shot in RAW yet (not sure how big the file size is) what size of SD card is recommended for holding 300 to 400 shots ?

Shooting RAW + Large JPG on my 60D, I routinely got 450+ shots on a 16GB SDHC card. So shooting Large JPG only, you'd likely get 800 or more on a 16GB card.

If you're in the market for SDHC cards, go with a 'top brand' such as Sandisk and get 'class 10' (a 10 inside a small letter C on the card). Ideally, get 45 mb/sec (marked on the card, as well), but preferrably 60 or 90 mb/sec if you'll be shooting movies or RAW in the future.

I've had numerous Sandisk flash drives as well as memory cards in the past 11 years and never had one fail in any way. That's why I keep buying them!

You should be able to fit well over 1,000 shots on a 16GB card. I've never counted, but my remaining shots indicator max's out at 999 when I have a 16GB card in and it stays that way for a while. That's shooting JPEG only on Large Fine.

Other accessories I'd suggest getting: Lens hoods, a wired shutter release and maybe a wireless shutter release, a good tripod, maybe a battery grip if you're comfortable with the extra size and weight. I would definitely go with the lens hoods for protection if you opt out of the UV filters. The hoods do a much better job at protecting the lens in most situations anyways.

I'll also throw in that I use Sandisk. The only problem I've ever had out of several cards is that one of my 16GB cards sometimes won't let me set a custom white balance, but other than that they've all been great!

I like your quote! @Scorpion_tyr

As far as other accessories...it's probably too soon to think about things like a tripod, circular polarizing filter, etc. Don't waste your money on any UV or 'protection' filters. They needlessly reduce the image quality the lenses and your camera can produce.

Is this true? I've always had a UV filter on my lenses and a lens hood. I'm an amateur photographer so I thought they were a must for protection and image quality.

Is this true? I've always had a UV filter on my lenses and a lens hood. I'm an amateur photographer so I thought they were a must for protection and image quality.

lens hood serves both purposes (quality and protection), UV filter is strongly debated regarding protection, but regarding quality, everything you place in front of a lens can reduce quality, in particular if cheap.

lens hood serves both purposes (quality and protection), UV filter is strongly debated regarding protection, but regarding quality, everything you place in front of a lens can reduce quality, in particular if cheap.

I recently acquired a DSLR, also.

I acquired lens hoods for lenses, a Manfrotto Compact action tripod, a Rode Stereo professional microphone, a battery grip (third party), Sun Sniper Rotaball pro,
Altura Sling backpack, as well as a "Professional Gear Backpack" from Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back