According to Vogue: Brides should say "I don't" to professional wedding photography

Thirty years into this deal- yes I think photos of your wedding should be with you for life. Hopeless romantic? Maybe. Sorry.

There's no reason for you to be sorry for being a romantic, just as there is no reason for me to be sorry for not being at all sentimental about posed, sterile wedding images and preferring silly, maybe blurry, maybe overexposed candid and real images.

I feel a disturbance in the force!
darth-vader.gif
Lenny and I on the same side............................Help us Obi wan kenobi, you"re our final hope. :biglaugh:
There- my posts here have united adversaries.

My work here is done. My internet superpower has been flexed once again!

If anyone thinks that somebody's wedding is 'wrong' in their measure (too big or too small), well, in the words of a great 21st century philosopher: "scuba".:345:

And yet, you've implied that not spending money on a professional photographer is "wrong" or "trivializing" the importance of the image.

My thought is that it's an unnecessary risk. If it works- you have saved a bit of cash that will be spent on something else soon enough, but if it fails you have forever lost the opportunity to have images that you really really should have for the rest of your life.

You're speaking as if this is a life or death decision to make, and also assuming that others place the same importance on the images as you do. I'm not saying the pictures have no value - of course they are, as they are reminders of a milestone event that most people want to remember. But it's no one else's business what form those pictures take. If someone wants professional pictures, fine. If someone wants snapshots from table-top Instax prints or disposable film cameras or iPhone snaps, then that's fine, too. They're not cheating themselves out of anything - they are creating the kind of images that will continue to resonate with them. And there are also those who just truly don't care that much at all about the images. Their reminders of the important event do not lie in an album or picture frame, but in their actual life with the person they chose.

Personally, I've never had any emotional connection to any "official" professional photographs. They leave me cold. Why would I spend thousands of dollars to get images that leave me cold?
Thirty years into this deal- yes I think photos of your wedding should be with you for life. Hopeless romantic? Maybe. Sorry.
I hope Mrs Pleeb doesn't use you as a door mat
It's Peeb, dude!

And no, we're good. Thanks for your concern. :D

Haha. Agreed. I've known people who are professionals (not photography, but like real estate agents, IT, etc) saying they won't hire a professional photographer for their business cards or Linked In.

I always say "hey, what a coincidence, because I won't hire a {whatever it is they do for a living} either."

It's really just human nature... reinforced by the cult of the MBA. "Everyone is a commodity. Um. Except for me."

As a photographer or {insert whatever it is you do for a living}, if you don't want to be a commodity, then don't do commodity grade work.

I wonder if I could pay someone to do their wedding? I need some practice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Brides don't want to pay $2000 for a photographer but they'll spend it on a dress that they'll trash in a $200 photo shoot after the wedding.

I've never quite understood the pageantry of weddings. Seems like a lot of unnecessary stress. And why would you need all that crap to confess your love to someone? You should do that every day.

I mean, I don't exactly like the over-produced blockbuster quality of a lot of the current wedding photography, but it's one of the only things that will hold its value after the vows are said.

I don't think I would want to entrust that duty to someone who has absolutely no obligation to do a good job.

Last edited:
Brides don't want to pay $2000 for a photographer but they'll spend it on a dress that they'll trash in a $200 photo shoot after the wedding.

I've never quite understood the pageantry of weddings. Seems like a lot of unnecessary stress. And why would you need all that crap to confess your love to someone? You should do that every day.

I mean, I don't exactly like the over-produced blockbuster quality of a lot of the current wedding photography, but it's one of the only things that will hold its value after the vows are said.

I don't think I would want to entrust that duty to someone who has absolutely no obligation to do a good job.

I would have to agree, at least in part. Without all of those photographs what are those divorcing people going to tear up, burn, or put on their dart board for target practice? l firmly believe that for some people in this world it would be far better if they didn't marry, rather about every 5 years they should just find someone they hate and buy em a house. Cheaper in the long run and less aggravation.

From my perspective the real duty being entrusted in a marriage is if the two people involved take seriously their obligation to put all of themselves into the marriage to make it last. Now you know why I could never survive in Hollywood, making a marriage last there would be stranger than sitting naked in church.

I agree. I never got it either. But then again, guys tend to think like that. I personally don't see the need to drop 15-20k on a 6 hour occasion just to say 'I do' and eat some cake and have an excuse to get drunk. But my girlfriend might want to go all out. Either way, it is more about the girl anyway I guess. Though I would much rather spend the extra money on the photographer and sacrifice something else from the reception. As soon as the day is over, that's it. But the pictures are forever. That's where the value is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back