Achieving correct portrait placement for no cropping later

also, really the only time I have to re-shoot a kid is if they blinked or I got glass glare. If you shoot manual light and not TTL, you pretty rarely get blinks. Glass glare you can usually avoid by having the kid put their chin down a little bit more.

Also, watch the kids skin tone. For kids with very dark skin, I usually just bump the ISO up from 100 to 125 or 160, depending on how dark it is.

Watch their poses before you shoot, and you won't have to re-shoot very much, in our gallows humor, we call it the one-shot kill. And the only real editing that is done is a little bit of skin softening via an action (these are high school kids after all) and a batch crop.

Great help guys, I really appreciate your feedback on this!

No it's all indoor stuff, he owns and soccer and lacrosse league both played at the same location

They use florescents

That can be a problem because flourescent lights change color as they cycle 60 times a second. Be mindful of white balance and shutter speeds that are multiples of 60.

If your camera is set to sunlight and the light source is actually flourescent, all your photos will have a greenish color cast.

Isn't that what posting in the beginners forum is about? Posting something without the fear of criticism?

If it is, then I was unaware of that. If someone wants C&C he ought to be able to ask for it in any forum, and the fear factor is up to the individual.

Isn't that what posting in the beginners forum is about? Posting something without the fear of criticism?
Heavens no.
Beginner's can be criticised.

Actually your thread topic, and asking about shooting 600+ portraits, is not a Beginner's forum topic.

The Beginner's forum intended use is based on thread topic content, not the experience level of the photographer.

Thanks for the tips guys. I never mentioned anything about doing it professionally, I'm doing it as a favor and a learning tool.

Most people also agree that GETTING PAID = PROFESSIONAL! I thought you said this was just for practice? And now you are getting paid? getting paid to learn must be nice!

Also, watch the kids skin tone. For kids with very dark skin, I usually just bump the ISO up from 100 to 125 or 160, depending on how dark it is.

Please explain this.
For people with dark skin, I raise the EC.
Why would increasing the ISO affect anything?

Please explain this.
For people with dark skin, I raise the EC.
Why would increasing the ISO affect anything?

Lew... in full manual, raising ISO a stop or two would have the same effect as raising EC a stop or too, yes? IF Shutter and Aperture didn't change... (If I am interpreting the earlier statement and your question correctly!)

Last edited:
That can be a problem because flourescent lights change color as they cycle 60 times a second. Be mindful of white balance and shutter speeds that are multiples of 60.

If your camera is set to sunlight and the light source is actually flourescent, all your photos will have a greenish color cast.

I'll probably be using strobes in the indoor arena, would the florescent still play a factor in the white balance? I'm assuming they would but slightly?

Great read! Thanks Superfitz

Most reactions

Back